1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

With our without pumps...that is the question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AJ, Jun 22, 2009.

1. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've heard a number of opinions on whether or not to use pumps when feeding.  One I remember is "if they don't eat with my pumps on, they didn't want to eat bad enough" while others insist on turning off the pumps during feeding.
    A third option that I heard today is a hybrid of the two where some of the powerheads and the return pump are turned off, but some of the powerheads are left on.  The benefits of this approach is that it still blows the food around for good distribution to the corals, but allows your fish and corals a chance to get it before it's whisked away to your sump and ultimately your filtration devices (whether this be filter sock, filter pad, protein skimmer, etc).
    Right now, I use the pumps off option because I only have a nano and the only circulation is from the return pump (I had a powerhead, but I took it out).   This gives some of my slower eating LPS corals that I have to target feed, a chance to eat.
    I'm interested in hearing what approaches you use and why.
    --AJ

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I turn just my return pump off. I found alot of times the food gets whisked over the overflows so quick nothing gets a real chance to eat.

3. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I used to turn off all the pumps using the "feed mode" on my ACIII, and I used to spot feed. The only real benefit was the LPS ate better and grew faster. After doing fro several months, it got old, now I just dump in handfulls of food and don't worry about it. I don't have a ton of flow going through my sumps so most of it stays in the tank, what does go into the overflow just helps feed the rest of the frags and macro algae downstairs. Plus I think the extra nutrients gave my colors a little bit more "pop". In short, I don't think it really matters, as long as you put the feed things will grow and flourish. Last time I checked there is always current in the ocean, not much of a "feed mode" there. :)