1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Wicked Looking Base Rock

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by Bela, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was looking around the web for some base rock, as it seems like that will be the most cost effective way for me to go (and I had great success buying almost all base rock for my nano) and found a guy from Florida selling some WICKED looking base rock. He also aquacultures it by tossing it down into the sea to let it become live rock over time and sells it as such. He also seems pretty willing to cherry pick what shapes and sizes you want (or as close to it as he can get).

Anyway, the dry rock is about $1.85/lb plus $00.50-$1.00/ pound in shipping. The variance depends on where in the US he is shipping and I requested a quote to the 50014 (Ames) area code. I am asking him if he does any special pricing for bulk orders (though I don't have my hopes up as some have ordered as much as 400lb from him at one time).

In any case, if he does offer a discounted rate for large orders I was thinking I would make an order and add on anyone else's rock to the order to make it cheaper since I see a lot of people currently looking for rock. I am planning on going in about 200-250 pounds.

He has a posting on RC, I hope it is ok to post that here. If not, just delete this latter part of my post, and I do apologize.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1632368&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

EDIT: Interestingly it did not auto format my text.

2. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I ordered one of Tampa Bay Saltwaters packages a few years ago to supplement my exisiting reef.

I was more than happy with the whole process. The rock did have a few pest crabs but also had tons of life including a couple small gobies.

I'm hoping to place another order myself but I'm far from ready.

3. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So shipping is 75 cents "or less" per pound and there is no special price to buy in bulk, so there is no reason really to do so. In any case, great price on some really nice looking base rock.

4. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I bought the "package" It's live rock. I wouldn't buy enough for my whole system but would buy a smaller package to jump start a batch of dry rock.

5. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am looking at getting about 75% dry and 25% live to seed the system. I followed that rule on my 10g and and the dry rock was live in no time. 6 months later I can't even tell the difference between the two!

6. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0