1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Why dont you attend the speakers

Discussion in '2010' started by xroads, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Big John

Big John Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think we need to have a noted start time for the speakers, for example, the first (or only) soeaker starts at 1:00 or 1:30pm if the event kicks off at Noon,I was a bit late(12:30-12:45) getting there so I could help out a member with some things he forgot to bring, I also did not here an annoncment that a speaker was getting ready to speak.
    I dont think the club sould do away with speakers, they bring alot of info for us all to learn from.

John

2. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    Part of the reason I came to the Fall Fest was for the speakers. I did attend the speakers but was late getting in to listen to them both. I was looking at corals and didn't realize they had started. I thought about it being a little rude to walk in while they were speaking but I went in the back and tried not to disturb anyone. I imagine some people didn't go in because they did not want to interrupt them once they had started. I would like to suggest that a few minutes prior to the speakers starting that someone makes an announcement using a microphone so everyone can hear that the speaker is about to start. Maybe talk it up a little bit and encourage everyone to attend. If you wanted to you could do a free raffle ticket to those that attended the speakers as a bonus if you wanted to encourage people to attend. I don't feel that people missed listening to the speakers so they could get that one special coral. I think most of those people came early to get first choice and bought what they wanted before the speakers even started.

3. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    for me it was i had no idea what the topics were. Now while this is probably my fault for not paying closer attention to the website, i also did not see any signage with a description of the upcoming speakers and what they would be covering. I didnt wish to go in and find it was about something i was not interested in.

If this is an ongoing issue perhaps you should consider putting the money elsewhere. In my experience with other sale events, very few people want to leave the sale floor to listen to somebody talk regardless of the topic. Now iam not sure of this is even feasable but. is there a way to perhaps skype these? or perhaps the speakers have dvds that could be sold for a small price for those that are interested.

4. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

There were show programs at the registration desk that had the speaker times printed on them, as well as the show banner that was located right outside of the speaker area.  I think what we could have done a better job of was making sure that each registrant was handed a show program.
    Glad to hear you enjoy the speakers!  :)

Posted By xmasia on 11/07/2010 12:39 PM

I got to see Anthony Calflo but missed Gary Parr. The thing i noticed when watching Calfo was the noise from the floor it was hard to hear at times even after Jeremy adjusted sound. It was very distracting. The reason for missing Parr was i got to yacking and missed the announcement and didnt want to come in half way threw.

We got the area separators as an effort to combat the floor noise.  I think  what we really need is a separate, dedicated room like we had for our first Fall Fest.
    Here's the info that we had on the Fall Fest website. http://fallfest.greateriowareefsoci...fault.aspx  I think we could have done a better job of directing people to the Fall Fest site to get more information.  There were event programs printed as I mentioned above.  I also agree about the separate room.
    --AJ

5. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I can understand this feedback and I agree with it.  Unfortunately the topics were not decided until a couple of weeks before the event so it was difficult to advertise the specifics.  When topics were decided, they were posted on the Fall Fest website.  All in all, we should know exactly what topic the speaker is going to be doing *waaay* in advance of the show.  Good feedback.
    --AJ

6. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's great to hear that part of the draw to the show was the speakers.  That's what we hope for.  We did give a 5 minute warning before both speakers started.  I know the show floor was busy and loud so it's understandable that these were not heard.  The 5 minute notice for Gary Parr was a little quiet so we made the announcement a second time, a bit louder.  I'm sorry that you did not hear these notices.
    I like your idea about holding an exclusive raffle for speaker attendees...very good idea!
    --AJ

7. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    There were show programs at the registration desk that had the speaker times printed on them, as well as the show banner that was located right outside of the speaker area.  I think what we could have done a better job of was making sure that each registrant was handed a show program.
    Glad to hear you enjoy the speakers!  :)
    --AJ

8. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We got the area separators as an effort to combat the floor noise.  I think  what we really need is a separate, dedicated room like we had for our first Fall Fest.
    --AJ

9. rc1214b

rc1214b

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By AJ on 11/07/2010 06:12 PM

Posted By slovan on 11/07/2010 11:38 AM
    To be honest, this is the 1st time I have seen this poster. Was this on the GIRS homepage at all? These were posted around in the local pet stores and other places around town by your local trustees.

Are the LFS doing this just to be nice?  I can't see them benefiting much from people buying things somewhere else.
    Are we slowly burning relationships with these stores?

10. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I hope that's not the case.  I hope that they're doing it with the knowledge that the more people that are in the hobby, the more customers their store will get for things like food, fish, corals, etc....but I think we're getting a bit off topic.  If you want to discuss this further, I would recommend a separate thread.
    --AJ

11. rc1214b

rc1214b

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By AJ on 11/07/2010 07:20 PM

Posted By rc1214b on 11/07/2010 07:17 PM

Posted By AJ on 11/07/2010 06:12 PM

Posted By slovan on 11/07/2010 11:38 AM
    To be honest, this is the 1st time I have seen this poster. Was this on the GIRS homepage at all? These were posted around in the local pet stores and other places around town by your local trustees.

Are the LFS doing this just to be nice?  I can't see them benefiting much from people buying things somewhere else.
    Are we slowly burning relationships with these stores?
    I hope that's not the case.  I hope that they're doing it with the knowledge that the more people that are in the hobby, the more customers their store will get for things like food, fish, corals, etc....but I think we're getting a bit off topic.  If you want to discuss this further, I would recommend a separate thread.
    --AJ
    I know the first thing I do after dropping a few hundred dollars on livestock at a show is hit the LFS to see what coral is in.  Point taken on new thread. 

12. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We'll make sure and solicit your help next time we need a poster made!  :)
    In this club, you get out of it what you put into it.  When you attend the local events, you meet the members and know more people when the major events come around.   I don't think that we do put too much focus on the major events...we have focus on the regional events too...but all too often, the regional trustees are not able to set up these events due to lack of local participation, lack of their time availability, or lack of good trustees.  If anyone has a passion for this area and wants to make their local area better, you should contact someone on the BoD and let them know along with what you think could be done better.
    We work to make things better for our speakers.  The room separators and lapel mic were good examples of this.  We'll continue to work on this to make it better for both speakers and attendees...but if people don't attend the speakers, it makes it hard for the BOD to justify putting even more resources into making things better.
    --AJ

13. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I dont attend the speakers cause I know that I can watch them at a later time at my own leisure. Thanks Waverz!! So it can be social time for the show.

Some good points have been made in this thread and would like to read a new thread started by this. And after reading this one though I would like to nominate Ryan for cedar rapids trustee.

14. Gered

Gered Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I do not see why we could not extend the time of the show to make time for speakers. Why not have a speaker start at 10 let them go 1-1/2 hours then open the show floor after. Then I would say have the last speaker a 1 hour or so before the raffle which would also give us time to prepare for the raffle. Then after the speaker start the raffle and maybe let some last minute sales go on. Just my idea. It may not be perfect but an idea.

15. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I wasn't watching the time and after it started I saw the video camera and thought it would be a good time to shop and I'd catch the video later.

16. Tina

Tina

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I wasnt able to watch the speakers because i couldnt make it until later in the swap. At that point i usually do several walk arounds seeing whats availiable and decide what i want. That usually takes quite a while. I dont go to the swaps with specific corals always in mind, so i like to take alot of time looking at all the dif corals and see if there was one i missed the first or second time around. Sometimes, the fraggers put out more stuff as they sell too, and i like to look at that also. I would love to attend the speakers, but the fact is if there is coral to be looked at...thats where i am for the majority of the time deciding what i want. If the swap was able to start by opening a little earlier for the speakers presentation or having them at the tail end for just the speakers(floor not open for viewing),  i would totally be there because i wouldnt feel like i was missing out on the other stuff happening on the floor. This fall fest i had family sit in on one of the speakers and they talked/ told me what they said. In the past, i have had the same problems as others if im selling and that is i dont have anyone to watch my stand, or there just isnt time to sell and still get your chance to walk the floor.

17. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would also say, that because I don't want to miss out on the speakers and miss out on any corals I might see/want, I don't want to sell either. Not that I have much to sell after the heater incident anyways, lol, but this also might play a part in people selling.

18. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    You could have a mini raffle for each event. Everyone who attends the speaker, is given a ticket and at the end of the event, they raffle off a frag or two, or something pertaining to the speaker, like one of Calfo's books etc.
    Also,  notification of when the speaker starts, over the PA.