1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Why do my SHRIMP DIE?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jordybaby24, Jun 25, 2009.

1. jordybaby24

jordybaby24 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    HELP me before I kill my new fire shrimp. I have tried three different kinds on shrimp of my biocube. A peppermint shrimp, a coral banded shrimp and the last fatality was a cleaner shrimp. I have bought one shrimp a month from 3 different pet stores thinking that was the problem. My fish in the tank are fine and healthy. I have 2 clown fish and lawnmower bleeney. and probably 25-30 pounds of live rock. I dont get it they are supposed to be easy to take care of. Mine don't make it passed day two. My nitrate level is slightly elevated would that kill them?   HELP

2. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    whats your salinity? shrimp and star fish are very picky about temp, ph, salinity, and alkalinty changes. so when you add them to your tank take a long time to acclimate them a slow drip over a few hours works best

3. bobsfish

bobsfish Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    has the tank ever had any copper based medicine?

4. Brett Petland WDM

Brett Petland WDM Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    another thing you can do if you are in the des. moines area is try buying one from petland. haha. we have had pretty good luck with all of my shrimp

5. jordybaby24

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We keep the sallinity at 1.020-1.021 a little low but I heard it is bettter to keep it a little low in a quarintine tank. The temp is gone up a little bit since it started getting hot outside it has been between 78-80 degrees. I did a slow drip acclimation for a hour. I had ich about 4 months ago and used ich attack on that tank. Petland is a great store and Brett knows his stuff. I recently bought my clown trigger from them a couple weeks ago and "spot" is doing great. He is happy and healthy. Do I get a discount now Brett? LOL

6. cowdust9

cowdust9 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yeah i have the same issue with my shrimp not sure what it is i was thinking it was the temp so i pulled the heater and they seem to do a little better but die within a week?

7. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    keep in mind most ich medicine is copper based and will kill inverts and live rock and sand can absorb copper and slowly leach it out into your tank even if you do water changes. i would test for copper and use some reef carbon to take out any chemical impurities in your tank

8. jordybaby24

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the advise. I will test the tanks copper level. I didn't know that ich tx would absorb in my live rock. Has anyone tried using cycle before adding new fish or shrimp? Is it worth a try to prevent livestock loss??  Thanks