1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Who`s got zoas? Let`s see `em!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by slovan, Nov 21, 2007.

1. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm surprised no one has started this thread yet! [​IMG]  I'm pretty sure we all have some so let's see what 'cha got!  I don't have very many yet but I'll kick it off with a few old ones.
    These are a variation of Armor of God paly's but I like these better
    [​IMG]
    ATL Triple reds
    [​IMG]
    PPE's
    [​IMG]

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Here's a few of my favorites
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    By the way Sone, once again I'm very envious of you coral collection

4. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Al! Yours are very nice also. I like the color variations that you have!

5. BigBlue

BigBlue Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here are some of mine.
    Unknown Zoa
    /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/crying.gif
    [​IMG]
    I think these are Whamman Watermelons
    [​IMG]
    I also have some Radioactive Dragon Eyes and another Unknown Zoa. I will get some pics of those later.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    BigBlue, nice collection

7. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    For some reason I have a really hard time keeping zoas in my tank. I picked up 5 zoa frags at the swap last month and 2 of them have completely disappeared (only the frag plug is left). The other three aren't showing any visible signs of growth.

I do have a nice colony of Dragon Eyes that I grew from a small frag. It seems to be doing well, but it took it forever to get to the point where they started spreading onto the rock.

Do you Zoa experts have any suggestions for me?

-JB

8. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Posted By jbrunken on 11/21/2007 6:19 PM
    For some reason I have a really hard time keeping zoas in my tank. I picked up 5 zoa frags at the swap last month and 2 of them have completely disappeared (only the frag plug is left). The other three aren't showing any visible signs of growth.

-JB
    I'm far from an expert but is there a possibility that you may have a "bug" that's getting rid of them for you?

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm no expert and I have lost several colonies.  But I have had better luck since I started following a protocol that I picked up from MuchoReef the zoo guru.  I dip them in fresh water, flatworm exit and iodine when I get them.  They like enough flow to make them wiggle a little, strong but not overpowering.  The also seem to thrive when I heavily feed my tank.  Also, the really popped when I had them under 14k Metal Halides, I might go that route again.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By got2lb on 11/21/2007 6:28 PM

Posted By jbrunken on 11/21/2007 6:19 PM
    -JB
    I'm far from an expert but is there a possibility that you may have a "bug" that's getting rid of them for you?
    Yes, I fell victim to sundial snails once.  I thought they were cool until I saw all my polyps laying in the sand bed.  About 15 colonies were lost before I figured out the problem.
    http://www.melevsreef.com/id/sundial_snail.html
    There are a few pests that prey on zoo's, nudibranches that prey on zoo's, eunicid worms and some type of spider  has been known to decimate colonies.  That's why I advocate of dipping anything that goes into a tank.

11. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh oh, Monty broke out a colony of zoas! [​IMG]  Looks like you have a couple hundred of them on one rock!  Nice...
    JB, it's hard to say if it was an infection, fungus, pest, natural die off, acclimation, stress, lighting or just different tank parameters.  I treat all incoming corals with Tropic Marin Pro Coral Cure at a minimum.  I shake zoas vigorously in the dip to check for pests.  Even when being extremely careful, you can still lose them.
    On a brigher note...here's another kind that I picked up about a month ago.
    ATL Purple passion paly's
    [​IMG]

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sone, where are you getting your colonies from?   I'm starting a new tank and it's going to be dominated by zoo colonies.

13. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Colonies? It's only a few polyps. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif Seriously, if you're looking for really nice stuff, Atlantis have most of them. Albeit a little high on price but their colors are almost always spot on and their corals are of high quality. Check this page out for their zoa frags. http://www.atlantisaquarium.net/frags4.html

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  15. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Those are sweet. Sometimes you can find them on sale in the LPS/Softie page. They don't have them for sale now but they do have some others that might be worth a look. http://www.atlantisaquarium.net/LPSofties3.html

16. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Not to get too far off track...here's my humble frag of Tubs blues. I heard Robyn has a colony of them in her tank now. Hey Robyn, let's see them! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

[​IMG]

17. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the tips everyone. I haven't seen any signs of parasites, but it sounds like I definitely need to be more careful in how I acclimate them to my tank.
    I might try feeding my tank a bit more, or maybe even try target feeding the zoas for a few weeks an see if that helps.
    -JB

18. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Another pic...Where's Robyn?
    [​IMG]

19. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

And some more

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I hope the zoas you get in the future will do better for you, JB.

Hey Al, nice variety! You weren't kidding, you do like zoas! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif Hey, what kind are these here in this picture? I think they look pretty interesting. Did they ever look more blue than what the picture shows?
    [​IMG]