1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Who runs surge devices.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xroads, Feb 11, 2009.

1. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I was just wondering who ran surges on their tanks & if you have any pics. 
    I was sitting in my thinking chair the other night & had an idea.
    I was thinking of adding a surge & also using it to slowly feed the tank throughout the day instead of 1 or 2 big feedings.  I thought about making some home made food & then mix it with some ro water & freeze it in a freezer box.  In the morning drop a big food ice cube into the surge.  If it melts too fast I could fasten it towards the top so water only hit the cube a few minutes each hour.
    Thoughts?

2. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    Sounds like a good plan. Its kinda fun to have the fish come up to the tank when they see you, hoping you might feed them though.

3. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I obviously am not running a surge device right now but I found this one a long time ago and I thought it was about the easiest one I've ever seen to make.  Depending on what  you have for space restrictions.

4. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    It looks good cept I will have lights over the whole tank & no room for something like that. I will have to have it to the side of the tank & run it in with a pipe.

5. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

xroads try using a toilet flushing kit, and a plastic tub or tote. use a pump to fill the tub. 

tie the flapper to the float so as the tub fills up the float will lift the flapper thus flushing the toat to the main tank!
    you could do 2, one on each side of the tank.
    Hope this helps.
    -Rick-

6. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Do a search for Carlson surge devices and reverse carlson surge. That's what a lot of people use. I think the biggest issue people have with them is the bubbles they produce in the display tank.

7. ckoeppel

ckoeppel Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I run surges on both sides of my tank. If you use the Carlson type method, make sure you reduce the pipe returning to the tank to minimize bubbles. I can post some pics if someone can explain how. :)

8. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I realize how to make one.

I was wondering if people saw better coral health with them. That and add in a slow feeder for better coral/fish health is my main goal. Unfortunatly on the reed fish & coral eat all day long, just not in one 15 minute period.

I thought about using Bornemans plan to reduce air bubbles but dont like the idea of a pipe sticking down into the water. I am going to see if I can hide one on the side of the tank. I thought about putting a bulk head in the side about 5 inches from the top.

That & I will have to make sure I am not going to flood my sump when it flushes.

I did a cut & paste on pics seemed to work for me. I have a hell of a time adding pics since I am not camera/computer gifted.