1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Who makes the best external overflow??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Waverz, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    As much as i would like just buy a bigger tank that is drilled and has overflows its not gonna happen anytime soon.  The overflow i currently have hooked up sucks and i'm having a hard time sleeping at night knowing that it is the only thing keeping a couple hundred gallons of water on floor.

2. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mine very rarely gets any air in it after I tilted it some. It's a hassle to get it just right after I do a water change, but it'll go for days with no air. I just made sure that there was no splashing of any sorts in the overflow box itself and adjust my pump so the water in the overflow box is just slightly lower than the water in the tank itself.

3. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I use a CPR with an Aqualifter. So long as I keep the Aqualifter clean, it works great and is relatively quiet.

4. Anna

Anna Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I always heard that Lifereef made the best ones, but they are really pricey. If it were anybody else asking, I'd say drain the tank enough to drill it...but I know that Murphy follows you around, and it'd probably end in disaster. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif

5. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I am looking into the lifereef ones, ive always used the CPR style with the aqualifter in the past and have never really had much of a problem with them. There are a couple problems with the one i have currently, the first is the nipple the syphon hose connects too is broken off so i just have a piece of airline tubing glued in the hole, the second problem is, my canopy is screwed to the wall and there isnt anyway to get the overflow off the tank without either taking down the canopy or hacking it up a little so i can get the overflow off. I was able to give it a fairly decent cleaning with a turkey baster and a dowel, i can't believe how much crap was trapped in there. After cleaning it seems to be working a lot better so i think it should be ok, i think rather than spending anymore money on this tank i am going to start saving up for a new one. I would really like a 84" x 36" x 24" tank with built in dual overflows. Until i can afford one of those i just need to make the current tank work.

6. wolfman1973

wolfman1973 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    it looked like you did a fine job on your fish trap,so why don't you just make one!

7. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Can't you just stick one of these over the outlet to the sump to keep it quiet?? This is how all reef ready systems keep the noise out. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...atid=12078
    Of course you'll ahve to make yours much smaller /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif