1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

White spot on monti

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shaun, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Shaun

Shaun Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a red monti that has been growing and looking great. Last weekend it got knocked down into the sand and with me working almost 14 hours a day and never seeing my tank with any lights on I did not notice it was down there until yesterday. When  I put it back up it had some light areas on it but otherwise looked good. Now it has a little white spot almost right in the middle. Do you think it will recover on its own or do I need to do something to try to save it? Thank You, Shaun

2. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It should recover.  I get white spots on my Monti's anytime a piece of food lands on them and sits there for a bit.  Just make sure it gets in one spot and stays there so there is no more stress to it.

3. Shaun

Shaun Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank You. That is what I was hoping for. Shaun

4. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Stuff is bullet proof. I had a big piece I got from waverz that he broke it half cuz it was too big to fit in a bag, got home and super glued a 6" seam down the middle to put back together. Few weeks later you can never tell and looks better than ever. You cant hurt monti cap with a hammer

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Shaun-
    I use a turkeybaster to blask food, sand, poop, or other debri of my caps. They seem to get stuff on them down in the crevices a lot. White spots form, just as cyber says, when they are distrubed or covered for periods of time. Clean'em off and they color back up in no time. In my experience caps seem to be incredibly resiliant and fast growing/healing.(FWIW my montis were the last of my SPS to RTN, but by no means is your situation life threatening to the coral!)

Josh