1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Which salt mix?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by slovan, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That is a great point!!! Scarry thing being that the Copper levels would climb also...

2. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I think I'm gong to switch to Oceanic once I burn through my current buckets of RC.

-JB

3. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Philby on 02/12/2008 6:42 AM
    So let me get this straight (and I could be wrong cause I just skimmed through the writeup at the beginning) but they tested 7g of the salt mix with 200ml of water for each of their trace elements tests??
    How does that help us if the first graph was not 35ppt?? or at least equal?
    No one just puts a standard amount of salt when making water, you always bring the salinity to whatever you keep your tank!!
    Therefore if you've got different amounts of the salt mix going into water to make the desired salinity, their measurements could change based on the different levels of the mixture used...
    I wish they would have mixed all the brands to the same salinity AND THEN tested the trace elements...
    The results are there, you just have to do a little math to get it. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif  x = 35*Ca/S  Billybeau did the conversion for calcium and is going to do magnesium next.  The same can also be done with alkalinity.
    Here's his recent conversion for calcium.  http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=11821741#post11821741
    Instant Ocean
    AWT - 432 - they actually got two very different readings from 2 different buckets.
    My test - 350
    Reef Crystals
    AWT - 385
    My test 420 (I think they got a couple of the bad batches going around lately.)
    Coralife
    AWT - 528
    My test - 560
    Kent
    AWT - 500
    My test - 540
    Red Sea Coral Pro
    AWT - 420
    My Test - 490
    Crystal Sea Marine Mix
    AWT - 316
    Did not test
    Crystal Sea Bioassay
    AWT - 336
    Did not test
    Marine Environment
    AWT - 660
    Did not test
    Tropic Marin
    AWT - 309
    My test - 375
    TM Pro Reef
    AWT - 380
    My test - 450
    Oceanic
    AWT - 531
    My Test 580
    Seachem Marine
    AWT - 535
    My test - 500
    Seachem Reef
    AWT - 548
    My test - 540

4. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I saw that on RC after I posted here - but my question is the same as another poster on RC - are all the measurements able to be extrapolated linearly?

5. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think I read somewhere that linear extrapolation can be done with most parameters, at least the important ones anyway.

6. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  7. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So IO has more CA, Alk and Mg than RC? anyone else think that seems fishy??

8. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A few people think that AWT tested salt from the bad batches of RC that was going around recently. There was a big thread on it awhile back. I'd have to dig for it but it was verified by RC and as a result, they replaced a lot of salt for those who had salt from the bad batches.
    *edit* The threads claiming RC having low calcium is in the first post in this thread.

9. Deleted member 120

Deleted member 120 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Interesting thread...

I've been using IO since day 1 because...well because I was told to use it by the LFS and never looked back! To frame this discussion up, the point is that if you choose a certain type of mix (in my case IO) you will have to dose additives to reach desired levels (again, in my case Iodine, Strontium & Molybdenum, 2-part B-ionic Alk and Cal), correct? And if I switch to another mix (like Oceanic) I may be able to reduce the amount of additives I need to use, right?

Assuming my logic above is correct, the information I have seen in this thread shows that Oceanic would probably need fewer additives than my current IO and the ever popular Reef Crystals, right?

10. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    According to the results, Coralife looks pretty good as well...and so does Seachem Reef. I don't want to recommend anything one way or the other but just want to make people aware of the salts we're using. I think it is more dependent on what the needs of your tank. In my case, my tank uses more alkalinity so everything else falls in line for me when using my current salt.

11. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't believe the MG results for IO.

12. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Travis on 02/12/2008 1:52 PM
    I don't believe the MG results for IO.It does seem odd and certainly does not match my experience. Of course my RO/DI water seems to drop the levels in every salt that I have used. I am really considering adding back calcium and mg prior to mixing the salt so they do drop the levels when I add the salt to the water.
    Billy

13. Coralfreak

Coralfreak Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Very interesting thread.  I would also chime in that the Mg results for IO seem a bit off as do the Calcium levels, based on my experience IO is very low in both.
    I have recently swithced from RC to Oceanic, so far I am pretty happy.  I have always struggled to keep a good Mg level with both IO an RC, the Oceanic is seems to be bringing it up and with the higher levels in the mix(I should note that my Salifert Mg test is only showing about 1200), should help maintain it a little better. Some of this is based on test kit results of which I only have so much faith.  The real key to me is how is the tank doing, how do the corals respond etc.  So far I am seeing some improved PE in all my SPS, everything seems to be doing just a little better.  Given that the cost is no more for Oceanic, I plan to continue its use.

14. Anna

Anna Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Switching to Seachem Reef Salt seems to have fixed my low pH problem, and everything in my tank is responding very well to it. With RC my pH was running pretty low, dropping to 7.9 or lower every night. With the Seachem, I haven't seen my pH drop below 8.15 - a big improvement, and not bad for a cold winter with the house constantly closed up.

15. Coralfreak

Coralfreak Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    To go along with the previous post, I have also noticed a pH improvement with Oceanic over RC as well.  After a ~10% water change with RC, my pH would drop by about .1-.2 for a day or two.  With the Oceanic I have noticed it either does not change or even goes up just a tad.