1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Which salt mix?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by slovan, Jan 15, 2008.

1. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    There has been a lot of questions lately over on RC about salt mixes.  Mainly it was because Reef Crystals had a batch with low Ca and Mg in it.  You can read about them on [color=#0000ff>[url="http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1270094"]and[/color=#0000ff> [url="http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1285879"]here.
    Just out of curiosity, which salt are you using and why?  There has to be a reason for it.  I have been using Oceanic for over a year and have had good results with it.  A freshly prepared batch has parameters higher than NSW but it works well for me since I keep a lot of SPS.  My parameters are steady and the only thing I use is a calcium reactor, no other additives.  I tested again last night and my parameters are still within these ranges.  Ca 450-500ppm, Alk 8-9dkh and Mg 1300-1400ppm.  Plus it's only $.20 per gallon, one of the lowest.
    Feel free to post your thoughts and results.  Below is a chart of salts tested by one of the mods on RC.  It's a good comparison between the major brands.
    [​IMG]

2. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    I use RC, but I'm thinking about switching back to Oceanic or SeaChem. RC seems to be having a fair amount of issues lately and it's somewhat uncalled for. If they don't know there salt mixes aren't correct theres a huge problem with quality control, someone should be checking the mixes regularly.

3. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you look at the chart, the Red Sea Salt is the closest to NSW. It might be worth a look as well. Or at least worth researching...

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I use Oceanic, it was a new product when I got into the hobby and it has always worked well for me.

5. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't be too worried about the RC problem. Other sea salts have had bad batches in the past too. I think IO had a bad batch a few years back and maybe Oceanic.

6. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    By and large, I believe the salts have remained fairly consistent over the years. It's still up to us to test it before we put it in our tanks.

SeaChem Reef salt also had an issue with high borate content in their salt about 2 years ago. I remember a number of folks were affected by it and nearly lost everything. Since then, the issue has been corrected. I used it for a brief period with my previous tank and I didn't think my corals were doing as well as they could've been so I switched. It's probably fine, it could've easily been an issue on my end as well.

7. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I use RC just because it seemed like that's what most people used when I started and so I bought a couple buckets online when they were on sale at Dr F&S. I'm just now getting to the point where I need to start testing for CA, Alk and Mg - so up to this point I haven't had any issues /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

It also looks like it's one of the cheapest! works for me - hard to save money anywhere in this hobby, so you gotta do it where you can I guess...

8. acidlittle

Beaverdale
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I use IO but going to switch to RC, great post btw!

9. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Good post kind of puts it all right in one place for everyone to compare everything. I wasn't really sure what I was going to use for salt yet when I get the tank setup so this def. helps shed some light on the subject.

10. FishNewb1

FishNewb1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have always used Reef Crystals. Never even thought about anything else... Although i did have a point in my tank where my Alk shot up and my Calcium was really low.

11. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    it is nice to see this salt it never crossed my mind much. i am using corallife i have liked this product and some of their other products over the years and we sell the buckets for $42.99 which is the best price by the bucket that we have. just to through in there instant ocean and reef crystal are the same company and corallife, oceanic and kent are all the same

12. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Interesting...I never knew Coralife, Oceanic and Kent were made by the same company. Thanks for the input and keep them coming!

13. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If I remember correctly Red Sea and Corallife both where supposedly "dirty" salts when I started 7 years ago. I used corallife anyway and loved it. Through RC popularity I made the switch to RC for my reef and then IO for my clownfish hatchery. I am half tempted to take another look at Corallife again, but Oceanic is really looking strong. As for the fluctuations I too agree that my faith has been shaken in IO/RC (same company same low standards for quality lately). Granted they are not number 1 and 2 in volume/ popularity because they are prone to problems, but there definatly should be more checks and balances in place if they want to stay number 1 and 2... I wonder how their company could handle a class action lawsuit if everyone that had a bad batch filed their losses... It really is not that hard to test every batch and loyal customers should be able to rely on the manufacturer they have been supporting for years, to continue to put out the same quality product. After I run out of my stock pile I will be switching to whomever shows a quality and dependable product.

14. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    After thinking about it for a couple minutes I think my next salt will be Oceanic. I was a little turned off by the high values, but if you think about it, during a water change you on change 10-20% of your tank's vloume. That fresh 10-20% is then dilluted by the old low value water, so you are essentially doing a water change and topping off your values for 20 cents a gallon. So, make room on the Oceanic bandwagon Slovan I jumping aboard... /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif

15. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Travis on 01/19/2008 1:18 AM
    After thinking about it for a couple minutes I think my next salt will be Oceanic. I was a little turned off by the high values, but if you think about it, during a water change you on change 10-20% of your tank's vloume. That fresh 10-20% is then dilluted by the old low value water, so you are essentially doing a water change and topping off your values for 20 cents a gallon. So, make room on the Oceanic bandwagon Slovan I jumping aboard... /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif src="/site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif" align=absMiddle border=0>
    Just so you know the pail are heavier then the IO/RC pails since they make 200 gallons. Your Fed Ex guy is going to look at you like you have done something bad to him.

16. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    After thinking about it for a couple minutes I think my next salt will be Oceanic. I was a little turned off by the high values, but if you think about it, during a water change you on change 10-20% of your tank's vloume. That fresh 10-20% is then dilluted by the old low value water, so you are essentially doing a water change and topping off your values for 20 cents a gallon. So, make room on the Oceanic bandwagon Slovan I jumping aboard... /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif src="/site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif" align=absMiddle border=0>
    There's still room, hop on! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif  The salt works for me since I keep more SPS and have a higher calcium demand.  Even with the elevated levels of calcium and magnesium, the corals seem unaffected by it.  I think it might be on the high end of the range but it's still within the range of being reasonable.

17. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By BGreenlee on 01/19/2008 6:29 AM
    Just so you know the pail are heavier then the IO/RC pails since they make 200 gallons. Your Fed Ex guy is going to look at you like you have done something bad to him.
    Does he have the look of someone who has been beaten with bamboo? /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif  I too, would be upset if there was 6 buckets of salt and stairs involved.

18. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By slovan on 01/20/2008 10:52 AM

Does he have the look of someone who has been beaten with bamboo? /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif src="/site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif" align=absMiddle border=0>  I too, would be upset if there was 6 buckets of salt and stairs involved.
    My house is about 9 foot above the road level, he had to carry them up a semi icy driveway and around to the house. He looked angry, of course it was about 5 degrees out too.
    Whats this bamboo thing I keep hearing about [​IMG]

19. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By BGreenlee on 01/20/2008 11:01 AM

My house is about 9 foot above the road level, he had to carry them up a semi icy driveway and around to the house. He looked angry, of course it was about 5 degrees out too.
    Whats this bamboo thing I keep hearing about [​IMG]
    6 buckets of salt would take at least 3 separate trips to complete the delivery.  This might give him a feeling of deja vous.
    I wasn't there to witness the 'bamboo incident' but there's talk of it in the Area 52 forum. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

20. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well, now you have given me the perfect revenge for the next time my package arrives late or damaged... [​IMG]