1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

where to buy black acrylic?

Discussion in 'Waterloo / Cedar Falls Area' started by Lee, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Anyone know of a local dealer who I could get black acrylic from?  I wouldn't need a whole lot..2x2 maybe

2. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    regal plastics here in edale man, they probably have scrap that size....maybe.

3. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you find a place let me know!

4. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    I assume you mean 2' x 2' and not 2" X 2" but if it's the latter I can give you a piece. Otherwise like Jeremy said they have a pretty good suply over in the scrap ben in Edale. I have a nice saw if you need it cut also.

5. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    $17 at regal, i checked the scrap bin and nothing was big or thick enough. They also sell black egg crate, i think i an going to buy a few sheets for my prop tank.

6. CyberJester

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I went up to Plexicraft in IC to get some weld-on he had some black acrylic 1/8" cut to size.

Kinda pricey though.

7. Lee

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Jeremy, do you know if 3/16" was the smallest they had? I'm thinking 1/8" might be better since I'm working with the limited space.

I will try and get some measuring/planning done this weekend. I will also need a piece of clear acrylic about the same size (scrap would be fine)

8. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I'm sure they have 1/8" but its gonna flex a lot more than 3/16". I think i'm gonna put the order in today for the black egg crate want me to order you a piece?

9. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    Thats pretty tight if your sweating 1/16"

10. Lee

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    actually X 2 is 1/8" less of space. That does sound really picky doesn't it ..hehe? The 3/16" will work great.

11. CyberJester

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't think he had 3/16".  I orginal asked him for 1/4" or 3/16" but he said the thickest he had was 1/8".
    However after looking at it, it seemed plenty thick for my purpose (fuge sidewalls).  Don't know what you are going to be using yours for?

12. Lee

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The plan is to make a false wall for a 20g tall, but it's going to be a removable box w/ an attempted wavebox built in...probably won't work, but it'll be cool if it does.

13. CyberJester

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If that is your plan that should work fine.  There will be minimal pressure on the side wall if the other side has water in it.  I would only be concerned with that if you are using it as an external wall.

14. Lee

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    For now it is going to be internal. I would like to do it external sometime in the future, but that involves too much work/time right now.