1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Where do you get filter socks?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lee, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just curious if anyone knows of any local stores that carry them, or well known online vendors.

2. kau_cinta_ku

kau_cinta_ku Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i just made mine from fabric from walmart. I could make about 20 of them for the price of 1 from a LFS. i will see if I can find the site that i found it on.

3. kau_cinta_ku

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    http://randystacye.com/diy_filter_sock.htm

there it is

4. Lee

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hmm... I would be worried about any chemicals on the fabric.

5. kau_cinta_ku

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

i have been using them for over 2 years with no effects, just wash them in the washing machine with bleach and let air dry for a couple days before using. but it's up to you. otherwise marine depot has them at decent prices

6. matt the fiddler

matt the fiddler Inactive User

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I got 8 on Ebay for a few bucks each...

7. Madjabjoe

Madjabjoe Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I buy mine from marinedepot.com. About 8 bucks for one but they are very good quality an will last many years if not neglected or abused. I use about 8 over a two year span. I have my wife run them through a rinse cycle in the washer and they come very clean. I don't use any detergents at all.

8. Lee

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It surprises me to see that people run them through their washing machine. I don't feel comfortable using the washing machine for anything that will be going in my tank. It just seems like there has to be soap residue left in the machine from previous loads of laundry.

9. Madjabjoe

Madjabjoe Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Most washing machines have a rinse cycle at the end of all washes but you,re right their is probably some residue still in the tank. From my experience thought the concentration must be so low that it does not affect the tank water. If I am around before my wife washes the the socks I will remind her to rinse out the washer and to not use anything but hot water. I usually wash 6 or 7 socks at one time. I have never had any trouble that I am aware of and have been using the socks for two years. Also, if the socks are very dirty and you need an extra kick I will disinfect them during the wash with bleach. Just make sure you rinse very will and let the socks dry completely.

10. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I use 25 cent nylons from walmart. You even get a cool plastic dome with them... /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

11. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Travis on 11/12/2007 12:26 AM
    I use 25 cent nylons from walmart. You even get a cool plastic dome with them... /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif src="/site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif" align=absMiddle border=0>
    Uhh.......... I am not even sure of what to say about this announcement.[​IMG]

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    how about " i bet they look good on you"
    or something similar...

13. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By BGreenlee on 11/12/2007 10:55 AM

Posted By Travis on 11/12/2007 12:26 AM
    I use 25 cent nylons from walmart. You even get a cool plastic dome with them... /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif src="/site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif" align=absMiddle border=0>
    Uhh.......... I am not even sure of what to say about this announcement.[​IMG]
    What?  You don't like cool plastic domes??? [​IMG]