1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Whats this doing????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kyle, Nov 16, 2008.

1. kyle

kyle Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
     On one of the great colored zoa frags, should say rock, there seems to be a feather duster or something similar, about 3 inchs long tube but don't see much in the way of rays.Just a few tiny thin waving things.Anyway..this morning all the new corals are awake and open, then this thing spits out two seperate clouds of little singular things that are tiny.They went all over the tank. any ideas anyone? is this iten breeding or pooping??LOLThe little tiny objects came out spaced evenly apart.I have had a brain coral like frag for a while do the same thing.
      ???????

2. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like a spaghetti worm tube or perhaps a small feather duster, but probably a worm. They are beneficial scavangers that have 2 thin sweepers that come out of the tube and feel around for food. That would be my guess anyway.

3. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Or its an aiptasia... which you should kill asap.

4. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    aiptasia don't have tubes........probably not that

5. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Aiptasia most certainly have tubes.

[​IMG]
    Link

6. kyle

kyle Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    H2SO EEEK! kill that thing!! LOL Not an aiptasia, the tube is not that color, more opague. Must be a worm, still only has two little feelers showing, by an aiptasia would have opened up and this would have been a BIIIIG one. :)

I went on a rampage today and killed all the new aiptasia I could find, as soon as I see any out they go(to the next realm!!) seems like no matter where corals come from these buggers are hiding out.So I patrol regularly! :)

7. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It could be a type of stationary snail that makes a hard tube. They have 2 small, short "antenna" for lack of the real term and they send out a sticky, clear "string" It then reels in whatever it catches on the sticky stuff and consumes it. Some people have a problem with them in their tanks, mostly because they become too abundant, but I've had one or two and they didn't harm anything in my tank. I suppose the sticky string could irritate a nearby coral....... if it is that, just having a nice clean tank will keep it from mutiplying.

8. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Does it look like THIS ?
    A lot of people think it's a worm, but they are immobile snails.....

9. kyle

kyle Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Fawn,

thats what it is! It did send a string out and reeled it back in, then shot two batches of the little whatyamakalits! LOL

Yea! now we know what it is. I will keep an eye on it, if it looks like it will get out of hand out it will go.

10. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    An interesting animal but some people find them unsightly or find that they irritate the coral they are near.

11. kyle

kyle Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Not as interesting as the other things in the tank..but hey diversity works. :)