1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Whats the most reliable in-sump return pump?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by IowaDiver, Nov 5, 2008.

1. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Mine died last night. It was a RIO 1700 which was a 700 gallon return pump.
    I'm looking for a pump that will start every time so when I turn it off to feed it will turn back on.
    I would probably be OK with a slower gph if it doesn't matter. This new build has 8 inches of sand in a 75 gallon tank and it will have mainly LPS, but there is no rock on the floor of the tank.
    There is about 4 feet of head using flexible tubing.
    Thanks for any advice,
    Chris

2. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, what about this Eheim 1250?  After some research it appears to be a high quality pump and runs quiet,(not that anything can be heard above the sound of my skimmer anyway) and I don't need a lot of flow. In fact I've heard a 1.5 turnover rate per hour is best for skimmers.
    At 4 foot of head it turns over 165 gph which is just about right for my tank.

Anyone have experience with Eheim? It's defnitely the most expensive of the in-sump pumps (except Tunze, but what else is new...)

3. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have no experience with sump return pumps, but I do have experience with Eheim filters for my freshwater tanks.  I have 3 Eheim canister filters and they are absolutely top notch.  Not only do they run silent, the parts seems to be made much stronger than others.  Additionally, they seem to use less power than some of the other products.  I have not had a single piece break or any failure of any kindafter multiple years of continuous use.  I would buy Eheim over Rena or Marineland products without hesitation or consideration of nominal additional cost.  The only complaint that I have is that I wish that they used better suction cups for the in-tank components.
    Granted, saltwater stuff is a completely different realm with considerations beyond what I have dealt with in freshwater stuff, but I thought I would pass along my experience with Eheim products in case it helps you make a decision.
    --AJ

4. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Eheims are extremely quiet and reliable. I would get the 1260 over the 1250. A cheaper alternative that is just as good is the Ocean Runner pumps. You might want to check the 2500 or 3500 model.  Ocean Runner pumps.

5. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the information. I might just go with an Oceanrunner 2500, then I would have enough power to be able to tee it off to my bucket refugium and eliminate a pump.

I also have a question about powerheads. I currently have a tunze stream with a controller and a seio 800. The tunze is nice but I'm sure ill have to run it at it's slowest speed. Since I'll have mainly LPS, in the tank, I was thinking of selling the tunze and seio and getting smaller powerheads in both gph and size. That tunze looks huge in my 75 gallon tank. Do you think two koralia 1 (400 gph) would be enough for LPS in the tank? The only fish will be jawfish, so I don't need a strong current for the fish, just the LPS (acan, chalice, etc...). There also won't be any rock except on the walls so not much to block the flow of the water.
    Thanks,
    Chris

6. Benji

Benji Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i have a new OR3500 on the BST.  it may be what you need depending on your head/plumbing and/or preferences.  i have found these to be just as reliable and quiet as eheims while being a bit more efficient at only approx 40w-70w depending on setup.
    http://greateriowareefsociety.org/C...fault.aspx

7. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Iwaki's are very reliable, run for years if you clean them occasionally

8. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ocean runners work great, I think Ive used my OR3500 for over 2 years now with no problems, it always starts right up too. It's also one of the most efficient pumps available. The only down side is that it does put out a little heat, not a lot, but some..

9. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I've heard Iwakis are good and I do have a bit of an expected japanese bias, but I thought those were external only and I've no room left for an external pump. Oceanrunner is looking like the pump to get. Thanks all for the suggestions.

10. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Let us know how you like it. This will be a helpful thread for others with a similar sized setup.

11. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I had to change my mind on my return. I went with the Eheim 1250. The flow (320 gph vs OR's 600) is less and it's more expensive but it is much smaller than the oceanrunner 2500. My return area section is very small, maybe 7 inches wide and the oceanrunner would be 6 across and 12 inches high, so it would displace too much valuable water in my return. I hope the Eheim is worth it's price.

I guess if I have to spend extra money on any one piece of equipment, the return pump is a good choice since it is so critical to the survival of the tank.

Chris

12. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Even though you've already bought one I'll throw my 2cents in. If money were a deciding factor I'd go with the OR 3500. They're a great pump. I traded out a mag 12 for an OR 3500. The OR 3500 is a smaller rated pump which was almost perfect for my return on my 90 gal. because I had my Mag 12 dialed back anyway. After I switched out my Mag 12 for my OR 3500 I actually had to buy a new heater for my tank because I realized the old one wasn't keeping up. The temp in my tank dropped 3-4 degrees that's how much heat the mag drive pumps put out. But as you found out the OR pumps are BIG pumps. They just have a huge case on them for some reason. If you have the room for them I'd buy one over just about any other submersible pump.

Of course saying this I've never owned an eheim return pump. I've heard nothing but excellent reviews on them but I didn't want to spend that kind of money on a pump. If I were you though I'd probably get the 1260 or 1262, by the time you have your head loss that pump won't be pumping barely anything.

13. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, the size was the determining factor for that decision. The eheim 1250 is small, but according to the RC head calculator I'll still be pumping at least 1.5 times my tank volume per hour is where I about want it for my skimmer anyway. Though this tank is 75 gallons, My tank is literally half full of sand so there's more like 40 or 50 gallons in the display tank.

14. dzabler

dzabler Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i have a mag-drive pump in mine and it is awesome. you can like throw those things against a brick eall and it will still work, but i wouldnt try it : )