1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Whats the best

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nick, Dec 1, 2007.

1. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

i am thinking about getting a calcium reactor but i am not offered but from a few choices at my work. i was just wondering what is the best calcium reactor available

2. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    fnvarner, welcome to GIRS! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif I hope you'll find this site to be helpful and fun!

What kind of calcium reactors can you get from work? You're also going to get a lot of varying answers when it comes to asking which brand is best. Most of us only have limited experience so it's hard to say. I've never owned a GEO but I heard they are easy to set up and steady once you get it running.

I've used a Schuran Jetstream 1 with a dosing pump. It's a little finicky but really nice after getting it dialed in. I've used a Deltec PF601S and it was easy to setup and maintain. Now I have an Elos REA 120 Plus. I haven't set it up yet but it should be just as good as the others.

3. nick

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    all i can get is you frequently seen in pet stores like coral life is the main but i have no idea about the co2 and everything else thats why i am starting to look around and its hard to find good info on them

4. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Do you have much for coral yet

5. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Sounds like your in sort of the same boat as me.   A while back I built my own calcium reactor (It's actually pretty easy and it only costs about $100) but I haven't hooked it up yet because I don't have any of the CO2 equipment.   By the time you get the regulator, tank, bubble counter and PH controller, it adds at least $200 to the cost of the calcium reactor.
    I decided that I'm not going to worry about the calcium reactor until my SPS colonies get bigger.   I don't think I have enough demand in my tank to warrrant it, so I decided to just use Kalkwater for now.
    -JB

6. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Are you dosing kalk now JB or did you convert your calcium reactor into a kalk reactor? I'm sure it would be possible wouldn't it?

7. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I've been dosing Kalk, but I just got my Auto-Topoff system today and I build a DIY kalk reactor last night. I need to get a couple more parts when the weather allows me to get to menards, but it's almost ready to go. Once everything is setup, it will switch between topping off with Kalk or fresh depending on the PH of the tank

-JB

8. nick

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    dont have any just trying to get ready to figure out which one i want cause once i got it all im going to start ordering but i want the reactor for when im ready for it dont want to have to stop buying corals to get that