1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

what would cause some of my coral to completely bleach in a day?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by snowman82, Apr 3, 2009.

1. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i have one piece of green slimer that completely bleached out in one day, and i got an oregon tort that looks like its not to far behind and my armor of gods haven't opened up the past few days neither have a couple other zoo's and my brain isn't getting as big nor my acans, seems like everything is staying shrunk up even some mushrooms...i've only had most of this since saturday (the sps stuff) they were all looking good till yesterday.  my skimmer went haywire on me bout 3 nights ago. could that be a factor? it hasn't been running but i'm running it now and doing a big water change with it since it wont dry skim at all just wet skims.  my water paremeters are all at 0 the need to be.  PH at 8.2 temp at 79 and stays steady.  calcium sitting around 420.  could it be my light bulbs?

2. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    what type of lighting are you running

3. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    250w MH

4. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Everything was fine until the last couple of days?
    Have you dosed anything?  What changes have you made (if any)?  Have you released anything into the air around the tank?  Cleaners/bug spray/etc?
    Possibly contaminated the tank with something on your hands when you put them in the tank?
    Skimmer going crazy is usually (not always) an indication of something in the water.
    Could something have died that you're not aware of?
    What's your ammonia/nitrites/nitrates?
    Got pics of the bleaching?
    -Eric

5. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    haven't dosed anything besides strontium/melo and iodine. nothing has been released into air and only things that could of died in tank could of been a snail or crab. ammonia and nitrites and nitrates are at 0 i can get pics tomorrow morning. i'll keep my hands out of the tank for a few days too and see how its going i'm going to do a big water change too and see how that might help things

6. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Are you monitoring the amount of strontium/melo and iodine in the tank?  BTW - what's melo?
    I'm not a big fan of dosing - especially without testing!
    -Eric

7. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    Just curious but were these your first sps or have you been keeping them? I'd also give your bulbs a good looking over, check for cracks etc. It seems odd that whatever it is would be bothering such an array of different typed corals. How old are your test kits? It would be good if you found a local reef keeper and cross checked your results on a different set of test kits. To me it sounds like high nitrates but thats only my gut. If your close I have plenty of kits and could probably come take a look if needed.

8. rc1214b

rc1214b

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Are you sure that the corals are bleached or have they lost tissue? Typically tissue loss occurs very fast compaired to bleaching in sps corals.

9. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Melo? Or Molybdenum? I wouldn't dose any of those trace elements or Iodine. Too easy to screw up the balance. The best way to replenish these is with bi-monthly or weekly 10% water changes.

10. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    moly is what it was and i did dose with those but i think i will stop now. and ya this is the first time i've tried to keep sps. test kits are fairly new got them when i setup tank in january. skimmer slowed down its production and is back to normal now, i did some modwork to it too. still doing a big water change though.

11. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yes Chris I would also wonder why you are dosing those elements? You should never dose what you are not measuring, I am guessing you are not measuring those three. Iodine overdose can be very bad as I understand it, I don't know about the other two but have never dosed them either. IMO opinion those fancy bottles of trace elements are there to steal your money, good salt and good water changes will take care of them like mentioned. Other than the normal pH, salinity, temp, NO2, NO3, PO4, Ammonia and the such pay close attention to CA and Alk. What are these numbers? Low Alk can cause problems with SPS for sure. I would leave it to others up here to say whether low Alk would cause the problem with the slimer and tort but my opinion is yes. The softies probabally not.
    I don't remember what bulbs you have? I am thinking they are new though right? Not Ebay bulbs? Like Jason said old or Junk bulbs is another very good possibility.
    This is a new tank so I am thinking water params, could be contamination like Eric has mentioned but since this is a new tank I lean towards the more obvious of water and light. Lets concentrate on water quality and lights and get these saved. You should maybe get carbon running in case there is a contamination heavy metals or something. You can call me if you want.
    OH and you are using RO/DI right, I forget.

12. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Alk over 4 can also cause SPS to bleach. You need to try to keep it in the 3-4 sweet spot :)

13. rc1214b

rc1214b

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Again...are they bleached or have they lost the tissue? An alk of 4 meq/l is not likely to cause bleaching .....that's about what IO and reef crystals mixes at

14. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i just went to adams in DM today and forget to pick up an alk test. i dont have one of those onhand. the lights are not new. when bought the guy said they were 3 months old.....(yeah i know) they need to be changed anyways so im going to be looking into getting a couple ordered tonight maybe. they are hamilton bulbs. 250w SE as far as bleaching and lost tissue, not sure really. i think the tort is loosing tissue. the slimer just instantly turned white. the tort still has color left. My armor of gods are starting to open up today. i think my water change is helping. i am using reef crystals for salt.

15. rc1214b

rc1214b

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sounds to me like typical tissue necrosis on the sps. Although many times there is no real indicator as to why a piece sloughs tissue, I'd say since the 2 pieces you have are generations old in captivity it is your water quality compaired to what they were in. Your best bet is to cut any living part well above the loss line and take out the dead/dying part as it will only pollute your water causing more stress.

16. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    on my tort i dont really have a line though. just mainly the ends where the pollups are are left with color.