1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

What would be a good return pump from the basement?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by got2lb, Jan 10, 2008.

1. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Just kinda trying to get some things figured out here! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif
    What would be a good return pump to pump from my basement sump up to the main level where the tank is located.  The sump will pretty much be right underneath where the tank will be sitting so we're probably talking like 12' at the most straight up plus the usual fittings and stuff to get it into the tank.  Also I plan on having 2 1" bulkheads in the tank to make sure I can deal with plenty of flow if the need arrises.
    I was kinda thinking going with an external pump to help keep some of the heat out of the tank. 
    Just kinda curious what everyone else is using?

2. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What size tank are you going with? What is your target turnover rate? As far as external pumps in general, I like Sequence pumps because they're quiet, efficient and have good customer service.

3. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    If I remember right I think 1 1" bulkhead can handle 600 gph probably somewhere between 600-1200 gph. Probably try to put it right in the middle around 900 gph. Also been thinking about running it through a seaswirl to get a little random water movement out of it.

4. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You will want to make sure you get a PRESSURE rated pump if you are pumping up from a basement. non pressure rated pumps will lose a lot of head in that kind of hight.
    There are a lot of head/volume charts out there that will tell you what the pumps output will be at a given head (hight). I believe that reefs.org has a pretty extensive pump database with that type of info in there forums.

Hope that helps...

eins

5. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By got2lb on 01/10/2008 8:52 AM
    If I remember right I think 1 1" bulkhead can handle 600 gph probably somewhere between 600-1200 gph. Probably try to put it right in the middle around 900 gph.So let's say you end up going with a ~90 tank(I think that's what you were looking at).  That would be about 10X turnover of your display.  Also, that would be a lot of water moving through a smaller sump.  I would look at getting a pressure rated pump like einsteins suggested with lower output to conserve electricity.  I'm just not sure if there is a real benefit to having a high turnover rate.

6. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Not 100% sure on the tank yet. It will either be a 50 gal. breeder 36x18x18 or it will be a custom made tank that's 36x24x20" tall. The price of the custom tank is all that's really holding me back. I plan on having a pretty big sump setup. This is kind of what I was planning on as of right now.

1. Water will overflow from the tank and go to the basement

2. water will enter a 29 gal tank with a filter sock on it. Tthis tank will also have a hole drilled in the bottom of it with a ball valve and will serve as my water change tank. Just turn the ballvalve to empty and fill back up.

3. after the 29 gal tank the water will flow into another tank (not sure what size yet, prob. either a 75 gal. or 125 depending on what I can find at the time) where the first chamber will hold the skimmer. Not sure on the skimmer but was looking at the ATI bubblemaster 200 but i've heard they've been having issues getting ATI stuff from overseas so we'll have to wait and see.

4. after the skimmer chamber it will flow into the refugium portion of the sump, I want this to be as large as possible. I plan on having cheato in it as well as mangroves

5. then back to the return area where there will be an auto top off of some kind.

6. After things start growing out I also plan on hooking up a 50 gal. stock tank for a frag tank similar to what waverz has setup.

7. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have a Little Giant 5.5-MDQ-SC that I use to pump upstairs to two tanks, as 55 and a 90. This pump has worked great and is on sale at Fosters. It has a big 1/2 horse motor though.

8. Bullet

Bullet Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This is the pump that I had in my basement for 3 years. Never had a problem with it. It is so quiet I had to feel it to see if it was even running. I think it is pretty efficient and low heat transfer.

http://www.reefs.org/library/pumps/pumps/velocity_t4-s4.html

9. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    in the past ive had big sumps in the basements and another way to help with head loss is to buld a simple stand for the sump.

not only do you gain gph you also help out on the heat factor, basement floors are cold and suck the heat right out of a container/sump.
    build a sump stand, it will pay for itself in heating alone.

10. acidlittle

Beaverdale
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I got me a mag 24 for sale if you need it....:)

11. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  12. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Posted By acidlittle on 01/10/2008 3:57 PM
    I got me a mag 24 for sale if you need it....:)
    I just assume run an external pump vs. a mag drive pump.  I used to run a mag 12 and it raised my temp on my tank 3 degrees with it running.

13. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Posted By lee on 01/10/2008 4:21 PM
    I have no experience with external pumps, but looking at the stats, this one looks pretty efficient and is pressiure rated:
    Gen-X mak4
    110watts
    approx 800gph @ 12ft
    $129 at MD
    according to MD some customers say its really quiet, and others say extremely loud.
    http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~PI1117.html
    http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~PI1117.html
    Looks like the Gen-X mak 4 or the Velocity T4 that Bob posted would both be very good options!  I was also looking at the sequence pumps and the Iwaki pumps but they seem to be quite a bit more $$$ for the same kind of flow.

14. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey Matt, you lost yet? /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif You have a lot of opinions on here and they're all good. I think we just confused you even more! I have also heard Pan World and Iwaki make good pumps. LOL!

15. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, i've heard the panworld pumps were good too! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif TOO MANY OPTIONS! AHHHH I got a little while to get something figured out anyway

16. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Speaking of Pan Worlds, I know someone who might get rid of it for a good price because he's not using it anymore. If you're interested, I can ask him the model. I believe it's pressure rated too because he used them with penductors in a 40B. I know he had over 100X turnover since he was using 2) Tunze 6000's with it. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif LMK.

17. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Always interested if the price is right! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif Not really ready for it yet but I suppose I could start getting my collection started for the next tank. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

18. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    i would check theisens they had a secent selection and the smaller start at like $80

19. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    Go with a velocity, there cheap and have a good track record.

20. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Posted By glaspie69 on 01/10/2008 9:43 PM
    Go with a velocity, there cheap and have a good track record.
    Is that what you're using?