1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

What was the best thing you did/bought for your tank?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guest, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am curious - what is the best thing you did/do or bought for your tank? just the number one thing that you think had the most positive impact on your tank.
    if someone wrote what you were going to write then try and thing of the 2nd best.
    some examples would be like :
    " getting an rodi system"
    " taking my time "
    ya know.. stuff like that.
    i think this could be a cool thread if people respond.
    thanks for reading!
    -ben
    and remember - try to read the posts before yours so you dont "copy" someone else (obviously there will be alot of people who want to type in something about an rodi unit)

2. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have learned patience. I have also learned you can survive 110 volts while standing in saltwater bare foot. Please take my word and do not try this at home...

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    haha. i can honestly say ive gotten more than my fair share of shocks. saltwater seems to conduct electricity a little stronger for some reason.

alright folks - patience. ive read that this is the key to saltwater/reef keeping.

next!

4. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The best thing/upgrade I have gotten for my tank is my T5's 6 x 54 over my 90 gallon.  Before that I had some really lame PC's.  I can keep anything I want with my T5's and have mainly LPS some SPS and two clams on my sandbed.
    The second important change I made in my tank was getting enough flow.  I have a Gen X 40 on my sump return with two MJ1200 mods and one Tunze 6045 in my tank.  Prior to that I had two Koralia #4's and I really loved them, but they both took a pooper on me about 6 months after I got them.  All the "experts" talk about how flow is a super important component in reefkeeping.

5. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The best thing I did was researching everything from methodologies to equipment.

6. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    After re-reading the first question.... The best thing I have bought for my tank and hobby experiance is my club membership. I know it sounds corny, but I learn so much from everyone on here and at our meetings I would have to say it is $20 a year well spent.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    alright - getting t5s , enough flow - and joining the club?

respond people!
    thanks!

8. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Remembering that good things never happen fast, and bad things happen faster then I typed this sentence.

Take your time and research every purchase/change you make for/to your tank. Ask questions as often as you can.

As far as single best investment, I would be torn between the proper flow and proper lighting for my tanks. Most bang for the buck was adding a sump/refugium to my system. A $30 tank, $10 worth of glass and silicone, and some free chaeto made the biggest long term change for my tanks.

9. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I upgraded my skimmer from an AquaC Urchin rated for 75 gallons to an ASM G3 rated for more than twice that. All my algae problems went away.

10. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Created a custom flow system for my tank.  3 In tank pumps with PVC and loc line.  One coming up through the reef then one on either side.  Also bought a Solaris light system which now makes all my corals very happy.

11. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ohh....tell me about that Solaris, what size and what did it cost if you don't mind sharing.

12. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By RobynT on 11/12/2007 12:53 PM
    ohh....tell me about that Solaris, what size and what did it cost if you don't mind sharing.
    I hava a 48" Solaris H4.  Got a pretty good deal on it.  Since PFO was about to release their new I4 series I found a guy on ebay who owned a store willing to part with is 3 month old H4 display model for 1750.00 because he wanted to display the I4.  Great light light of love all the advantages to this light system.
    Sunset
    Sunrise
    completely customizable light levels(both blue and white).
    Cloud cover simulation.
    28 moon rotation setting.
    These things put off almost no heat at all you can touch the underside of the light and it doesn't even feel warm.

13. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Any pictures?  It sounds like you got an awesome deal.  I had been waiting to hear from someone that actually owns one of these units.  Not that I can afford one anytime soon!

14. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    im liking my reef octopus skimmer, i started running it a few days ago and it wasnt doing anything. today i got home and it has at least a quart of nasty green gunk in it.
    something about a big skimmer just makes me feel more manley.
    i had big worrys about making my own rock after reading posts a while back about one of the ingredients i used leaching phosphate into the water(crushed oyster shell). i dont know if its true, but it worries me.
    i got in on that two part order and got some GFO not even knowing what it was used for, everyone was getting it so i figured i needed some too.
    im glad it didnt go to something i needed to buy that cost 300.00, i woulda felt pretty stupid.
    but i got a phosban reactor,38 bucks 20 after rc discount and free shipping, so that got rid of the oyster shell worry.
    i think my biggest luckout was getting 3 blueline ballasts from aqua direct after they made a blunder.
    they had magnetic ballasts on their website on sale buy 3 for 99 bucks, well the item was discontinued a long time ago, they still had them for sale, it took 2 months for them to finally figure it out after talking to them 20 times oon the phone and waiting forever.
    to compensate they gave me 3 electronic ballasts with quick connect harnesses for something like 69.00 a peice.
    regular 169.00.
    i think the best thing i did for it was buy a better skimmer.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I realized that almost all of the information I could want to know was available on the internet. Started without it, and it was tough going.

Recently the best thing I did was build a much, much bigger skimmer. Algae-less now and feeding much, much more.

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    im glad people are saying things i wouldve of expected.

i didnt realize the impact a bigger/better skimmer could make...

just wanted to start this thread for new people and people who are just wondering "how can i make it better" alot of the times its the most basic stuff...

anyways, bumpzorz

17. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    The best thing I did for my tank was to tear it down so I can start over with a much better setup!  /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif
    Also don't EVER try putting your contacts in after your hands were in the tank! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/crazy.gif

18. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My skimmer is definately on my list of improvements that really make the difference.  I have an Octopus NW150.

19. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think the best thing I did was go to the Rockford Fragfest last Feb. I met a lot of people from here and other people in the hobby. I also got a few corals from Bob/Bullet's tank even though he was not there. From these people and the internet I've gain alot of knowledge on what to do and what not to do.