1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

what to put in a refugium?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Will44, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Will44

Will44 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i just bought a hang on the back refugium for my 75 gallon tank. I want to use the refugium mainly as a filtering device to help the clarity and quality of the water.

I am wondering what the best thing to put in it the refugium is?
    i have heard of miracle mud and plants and also the possibility of adding sand and live rock.
    thanks

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ide toss in atleast 4 inches of sand, and soem mangroves and cheato if you have the room for it. If not just toss in Mangroves.

3. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I don't think a refugium will make a very good filter. Filters need high flow and refugiums need slower moving water. I would skip the idea of filtering anything in it and add some sand/miracle mud, rubble rock, macro algae(chaeto, caulerpa, gracilaria, etc...), some mangroves(ebay has very cheap mangroves), and a small light. Don't put any predators in there that will eat pods and everything benificial you're trying to culture in there. You could buy some copepods or mysid shrimp and stock it, but even easier is to use some established sand from your tank or someone elses and some macro algae that is already flourishing with pods. I sock mine with extra pods by sucking them up with a turkey baster or using a net at night while viewing my tank with a flashlight.

What are the dimensions of the refugium?

Adam

4. Will44

Will44 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The dimensions are 25.5 L 4.5 W and 12 H all in inches.