1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

What to do?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BigBlue, Nov 20, 2007.

1. BigBlue

BigBlue Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well the tank is really starting to go down hill. All of my sps is pretty much gone and I even lost my fire and ice zoa colony. And the tank is silmed up pretty good. My lps and shrooms are doing ok. But nothing seems to be growing. I test my water once a week and it stays about the same. For some reason I can't even get any coraline growing.
    I did make one mistake and that was I went on a hunting trip last weekend and left my mom in charge of my tank./site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/cry.gif Well the jug of water that I use to drip fresh water for my top off ran out and my salinity went way up./site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/crying.gif So I know that didn't help matters. Stupid mistake on my part./site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/blush.gif
    I know you guys are going to want to know what my water tested at so here it is:
    Calcium 420ppm
    Phosphates 0ppm
    KH 10dKH
    Nitrate 5ppm
    PH 8.2
    salinity 1.026
    RO 2 tds
    I dose Purple up every day and dow flake once a week. I do a 5 gallon water change once a week.
    As far as equipment goes I have a 40 gallon breeder with a 20 gallon sump with a Quite one 800 for a return pump. I run a bak pak for a skimmer. I know its not the best but it will have to work till I get a better one. I have 2 #2 Hydor Koralias for flow in the tank. For lights I have 2 175 watt metal halides. With 20k XM bulbs (I know not a very good choice for growing stuff). With 2 PC actinics. In my sump I have a layer of sand and some LR with cheto. I have a 150 watt metal halide over my sump.
    Well I don't know what else I can tell you guys. If I forgot anything let me know and I will post a answer. Well hopefully I can get it figuered out cause I'm about at the point of just tearing the thing down and be done with it.
    Thanks for lookn'.

2. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Bummer,  your little nano was really nice too.   When you say you dose dow flake..you mean it's dissolved in RO right?  Do you run carbon?  It might help.

3. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm no expert but I don't see any glaring problem with what you've posted.  One thing that I might suggest is a phosphate reactor (I run both carbon and a phosban type mixture in mine.)   I really think it helps a lot.  I hope you get it figured out soon, it must be distressing to you.  [​IMG]
    (Does anyone know why instead of the sad face icon I tried to use at the end of that sentence,  I get all that verbage on my posts???)

4. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I agree with Robin, nothing you posted seems out of line. I don't think a couple of days evaporation would send your Salinity high enough to do this damage. So I think there must be something else we aren't seeing yet. Any chance of something getting in there like metals? How is the other livestock. What about Ammonia and Nitrites? Temperature or temp swings?? PH Swings?

5. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Not that it'll be a cure but you might try a few 10 gallon water changes on consecutive days. Who knows there might be something that is affecting it that is untested too.

6. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Along with the great advice already given above, I would start checking your equipment to make sure that everything is functioning properly. Check things like pumps, heaters and light bulbs. In a situation like this, I would also stop dosing everything for a few weeks until you can identify the cause.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, I hope you stick with it! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

7. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Check your bulbs, I (and i think atticus) had a bulb go bad and radiate everything. It will still light up, just look a little funny.

Fish look ok?

8. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Maybe there is a contaminant in the flake or purple up. I've always used the pickling lime because it's a food grade product.

9. BigBlue

BigBlue Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Lee : I do dissolve the dow flake in ro but I don't run any carbon. What do you just use a HOB filter for the carbon?
    jtesdall : All my fish look fine and are eating. My ammonia and nitrites are both at 0ppm. There hasn't been any major temp or ph swings that I can tell of.
    Slovan : will go threw and check all of my equipment tonight to make sure everything is working correctly.
    xroads : my lights look fine no cracks or anyting like that. They both look the same color so I don't know.
    Well thanks guys for the ideas I'm going to do some tinkering around with it tonight and see what I come up with. If you guys ahve any thing else you can think of please let me know.
    Thanks.

10. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    What is your temp kept at?

11. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    What are you using for salt? Are you still using out of the bucket that I had left over?

12. BigBlue

BigBlue Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I keep my temp at 78 to 79 during the day then about 77 to 76 at night.
    No Matt I used all of that salt. Right now I'm using RC.

13. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Just curious as to that's kind of what was happening to my tank when I decided to tear it down.

14. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    One thing that might be happening too is you have a pump bleeding voltage. To test it get a cheap meter at radioshack (an analog one).
    My tank in my basement had a bad pump for awhile and I never knew it even after putting hands in the water. One day I went downstairs with socks on got the floor wet and zapppp. You will not feel voltage bleeding most the time unless you are grounded somehow and complete a circuit. I'd recommend this for everyone after being lit up.

Another thing that could be happening is the change in salt. There was a good article somewhere about the top brands and what they consist of. Mixing a few of them together is not good due to the different percentages of chemicals in some them.

The zoos probably got taken out by the salinity increase some are kinda sensitive of it along with SPS. I always run my SG at around 1.024. I think only the GBR has a 1.026 SG. Most of the Ocean is lower.
    Do you have any pics of the slime? Or, do you know what it is specifically. One slime that actually feeds off of the elements in the water. If that is the case water changes will hurt by actually feeding it.
    Last but maybe most important is there anyone around you that would be willing to take your coral until it's under control? If you where closer I'd do it.

15. BigBlue

BigBlue Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good idea Ben. I will go out this weekend and get a voltage meter. As far as the slime goes I think it was one of my big sps colonys. I noticed that it started dieing last night. So I pulled it out and this moning most of the slime was gone. So I think I took care of the slime.

16. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Get an analog one. One with a needle. I have a couple digital fluke meters at work and always finding myself using and trusting my crappy analog one when testing motors.

17. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i would dose the tank with some chlorine/chloramine remover just to be sure.
    ive heard of it happening a million times in freshwater setups.
    municiple companies way overdose at times and you have no idea of it.