1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

What the heck is this

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FishBrain, May 21, 2009.

1. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    I am up feeding my newborn daughter and decided to look in the display and saw this. It is a segmented worm about 12 to 15 in long and as fat as a plump night crawler. Anyone know what it is?When I first saw it I thought I was seeing things then when I realized it was real I freaked and grabed my bone cutters and choped it in two then neted it while it was thrashing around in pain. I have never seen anything like it in my tank in the 7 years it has been set up. But by it's size it must have been there growing the whole time.
    [​IMG]

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I cant remember the name but it will take bites out of your coral. I am surprised you were able to get it, most people have to tear down their tanks to get it.

3. vikubz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Could be a eunicid worm. Can you see 5 'tentacles' around the head? If it doesn't have the tentacles around the mouth, it could just be a really well fed bristle worm.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-04/rs/index.php

4. rc1214b

rc1214b

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looks to be a Eunicid worm.. They are great scavangers but unfortunately get quite large and can become a problem. I pulled one about 2 1/2 ft long with 1 inch spines out of my 75 a year or so ago. Can't believe something so large lived in my tank for so long unnoticed. I used some kalk to drive it out of it's hole, after pinching a section and twirling it around some tongs I got him out, felt like I had a big snake. Have to admit I was a little scared. How did you remove yours?

5. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Posted By rc1214b on 05/22/2009 04:25 AM 
    I pulled one about 2 1/2 ft long with 1 inch spines out of my 75 a year or so ago. Can't believe something so large lived in my tank for so long unnoticed. I used some kalk to drive it out of it's hole, after pinching a section and twirling it around some tongs I got him out, felt like I had a big snake.
    Have to admit I was a little scared.
    Thanks you gave me a good laugh.
    I sure in the hell would be scared too to stick my hand in a tank with something like that swimming around.

6. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hard to say, but more than likely it is harmless, albeit creepy, but its probably been living in the rock a long time. There are a few pictures and a lot of info
    HERE

7. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think I have really tiny ones living in my tank, at least they look similar. Only see them at night. Should I be alarmed?

8. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    Posted By rc1214b on 05/22/2009 04:25 AM
    Looks to be a Eunicid worm.. They are great scavangers but unfortunately get quite large and can become a problem. I pulled one about 2 1/2 ft long with 1 inch spines out of my 75 a year or so ago. Can't believe something so large lived in my tank for so long unnoticed. I used some kalk to drive it out of it's hole, after pinching a section and twirling it around some tongs I got him out, felt like I had a big snake. Have to admit I was a little scared. How did you remove yours?
    Afrer looking at some pics after you gave me the name it is deffenitly a Eunicid worm. I was lucky catching mine. I cut it in half with a pair of bone cutters because they were right there then I realized I was not killing it just makeing two since most worms will just regenerate and become 2. So I grabed a net and scooped it up while it was writhing in pain. And it was a adernaline rush![​IMG]

9. bobsfish

bobsfish Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    that is one wicked looking worm !!!