1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

What scraper do you use and like?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RobynT, Jan 9, 2008.

1. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've been using a razor blade scraper but I have to replace it between using it as it rusts so easily.  What does everyone use and like?  I'd love to have one that is good for multiple uses but does a good job!

2. FishNewb1

FishNewb1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Im not too sure... i have used other products before but nothing does as good of a job as the good old razor blade...

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Utility knife blades are best, but I spent $5 (or less, I don't really remember) on a 100 pack of small razors more than a year ago and am maybe 2/3 of the way through them. You can get a lot of life out of any razor by rinsing and drying it after each use.

4. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The 5 inch razor blade scrapers at Lowes or another store work great. The blades will rust quickly but this is remedied by removing it, washing it under tap water and setting it out to dry after each use. I have used these for about two years. They are GREAT if you let the blades dry on a paper towel.

5. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    razor blades and mag float here

6. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I use a small plastic pan scraper I bought at bed,bath and beyond.

[​IMG]

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Huh. That's not a bad idea. I could use one of them anyway, maybe I'll give them a try.

8. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, they work great. Another idea I've gleaned from RC. It was less than a buck I think. I also have a kent marine scraper with a long handle for hard to reach areas but I get more force with this small handheld scraper. It takes off corraline pretty well.

9. Bullet

Bullet Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My favorite:

http://www.oceansmotions.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=42&osCsid=08e2c5e7fb008261d117fef43656354b

10. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I've used mag floats never much of a fan of that brand.

The bigger tank called for a stronger mag float so I got Hammerhead float. Like $60 totally different league. Can scrub thru any algae even scrubs those little tube worms off.

Don't know how well it would work on coraline as the urchins never let any grow on the glass!

11. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Bullet on 01/10/2008 1:18 PM
    My favorite:
    http://www.oceansmotions.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=42&osCsid=08e2c5e7fb008261d117fef43656354b
    Ah, now I had wondered if these worked or were any good.  My mag float takes care of my glass pretty well but I need something to get down close to the sand without getting my arm in the tank.  I think I'll have to try one of those.

12. hopper75

hopper75

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've used these Kent Pro scrapers (the ones with the red blade in the pic) for a long time and they work great! I recently purchased the stainless steel replacement and it cuts through the coraline awesome plus it never rusts. I have the x-long model and it reaches to the sandbed of my 90g easily.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4072&Nty=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=All&pc=1&N=0&Ntt=scraper&Np=1