1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

What`s your thoughts about a GIRS Wiki?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by AJ, Apr 17, 2009.

1. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    As is with many hobby related sites, new people are introduced to the hobby, hungry for information and ask a lot of questions (hey, I'm including myself in this category).  What happens is that the more experienced/seasoned people frequently get tired of answering the same questions over and over again.  A wiki would make it so that the new folks could get the same information in a faster manner and they wouldn't have to wait for answers that have already been put into the wiki.  I know that there are wiki module for DNN...would it be possible to implement one on the site?  I would be more than happy to help convert the resolved questions into wiki entries.  Thoughts?
    --AJ

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Sounds like a cool idea.

I would love to see some of the calculator & stuff like RC

Wiki things like red bug cure, ph ideas, stuff like that

3. Shaun

Shaun Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That be cool
    Even the seasoned reefers still have questions

4. wolfman1973

wolfman1973 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    good idea apjohnson

5. gravattj

gravattj Inactive User

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I agree. Good idea. If we need a site to host it, let me know. I can offer space for free.

6. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You mean something like this - The aquarium Wiki.  Lots of good info there and you can edit it too, just like wikipedia.

7. Bzishka

Bzishka Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ya know people work together on the iowa sites way more then they do on the global sites

8. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    We tried to start a wiki before (we have a module for it) but nobody wanted to take the time to get information entered into it.

I think it would be a great idea if we could actually get it populated...

I can re-install the module if someone wants to take charge of the project, but I don't have any interest in managing it myself.

-JB

9. coral_bandit

coral_bandit Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I like the idea

10. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'll do it JB. I love the idea of being able to point people back to a Wiki entry about something instead of having to explain the same things over and over (not that I've had to do it much, but we do see a lot of the same questions being asked). Woohoo! GIRS Wiki here we come!

--AJ

11. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Ok, there you go. It's under the resources menu. I haven't messed with it much so I can't give much guidance.

-JB

12. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    great idea... you GO people... newbies bathe in it.

13. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for getting it installed so quick JB. I'm going to look around and see what makes sense for a logical information layout. Once I do that, then I'll start converting questions and answers from the forum.

--AJ

14. Deleted member 364

Deleted member 364 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello,

My name is Brian, I'm actually the primary admin for The Aquarium Wiki. Your very right, people tend to stick with the communities that they are already a part of. Due to this fact we have syndicated the wiki to other domains as well, effectively giving every community their own copy, and letting all the communities maintain it together.

If you guys at GIRS want to talk about using our content to get you started, contact me here: http://theaquariumwiki.com/User_talk/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gifsiPro or via e-mail at admin@psipro.com

I'll try to keep up with this thread but no promises :)

15. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    That sounds interesting JB, what do you think? Could save us a lot of work.

16. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Joel,

We're going to be limited to what our software can do. I don't have the bandwidth to enhance it and there aren't really any other wiki modules available for DotNetNuke (at least not that I know of).

AJ is heading up the wiki effort, so if he want's to work with them to share information, I'm all for it.

-JB

17. Deleted member 364

Deleted member 364 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Glad to see you are considering it. Keep me posted on whats going on or if you have any questions.