1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

what`s your favorite epoxy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lee, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was wondering what ever one likes best.  Does anyone use the plumbers putty from home depot?

2. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I like the plumbers epoxy because of the price, there are downfalls to using it though.  The first is you cant directly mount corals to it, although i have been able to with the aquarium grade stuff, i think the plumbers stuff might get hotter when it cures, not really sure.  The other downfall is it will make your skimmer go absolutely crazy, i learned that the hard way.  The last reason is the color, i really preffer the purple stuff but it's just soo expensive.
    Just my $0.02
    Jeremy

3. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was hoping you would post. Do you think it would be ok to use in such a small tank?

4. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    There is a thread like this going on RC on the CIMA board.  One of the old time reefers noted that if you use the grey stuff (sold at Home Depot and the like) be careful because it contains iron and it will feed algae.  I tried using the grey stuff once and thought it was really inferior for reef work, turns mushy easily if you have to work it much and pops off easy after weeks which has resulted in huge headaches for me.  Save yourself in the long run and buy the more expensive, reef safe green or purple type.  I myself think that the green ones work the best for the money, the purple is always more expensive and you get less although blends into the scape easier.  Just my opinion.

5. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  6. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    You can get green plumbers epoxy, it turns white when mixed and looks exactly like the stuff you can buy for reef tanks. IMO it will be fine in a small tank just don't go overboard with, maybe just mount a few frags a day it and turn off your skimmer for a bit after you use it.