1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

What`s the deal with my snails?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bobsfish, May 9, 2009.

1. bobsfish

bobsfish Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I have a relatively new tank and added a dozen snails after it cycled. There's usually about 4 or 5 of the snails hanging out at the top of the water line, or even on the rim of the tank partially out of the water. The other snails crawl on the rock and sand as expected. Is there some parameter that is out of whack, or is that normal for snails?

2. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    mine do it too... Turbo snails always on rocks and cleaning glass but my astrea and cerith snails both venture up and hang out at water line. Sometimes I think I need to put them back in the water cuz they are half way out but I just leave em alone and they are fine.

3. bobsfish

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    thanks...it's good to know that it's "normal"...I'm new to saltwater, so I'm still learning. I've read a lot, but behavior is sometimes learned only by experience and not in a book. I haven't read anything about snails chilling half-way out of the water !!

4. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thats normal! They will do what ever it takes to eat.

5. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It may or may not be normal, depending on type of snail. Some snails are more sensitive to pH fluctuations and may be trying to get out of the water if the conditions are harmful to them. Also, some snails come from cooler Atlantic waters but are sold as Tropical snails......they don't live long in the warmer temps of a reef tank and may be trying to escape the warmth. In general, my snails travel all over my tank and most should, unless they are a type that live in the sand etc.

6. bobsfish

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    These are Astraea snails - got them from Sea of Marvels - so, I assume they are ok with tropical temps