1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

What`s a good HD TV?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by got2lb, Dec 10, 2007.

1. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    So keeping with the HD theme here.  My wife and I have been toying with the idea of buying a new HD TV.  I really don't know much about them.  I haven't done any reading up on them or anything.
    What should I be looking for?  What are good brands?  It doesn't need to hang on the wall or anything like that we have plenty of room. 
    Thanks again!!!

2. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Since room is not really a big deal, you can't go wrong with a nice DLP. The cost to value ratio is great and 10 to 12 inches deep is negligible compared to a rear projection.
    Personally, I prefer Samsung DLPs. The primary reason is they had the rights to use DLP technology first and they got a pretty good jump on the competition. That isn't to say other manufacturers aren't making great DLP products, it's just to say that they have had a bit more time with the R&D than the others.

This is my personal preference...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889102137
    1080p, 10000:1 contrast ratio with 3 hdmi inputs....plus it is amazing in person.

Just my 2 cents.

3. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Okay so how much room do you need in a room to be able to see some of these tv's? I know I've heard before that some of them you have to be sitting at least 12ft. away from to see them.

Also how do the DLP's look from a angled view instead of straight on? Are they okay to play video games on?

4. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Anyone heard anything about the mitsubishi DLP's? This one looks quite nice for the price!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889248016

5. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would second the suggestion of a DLP and stick with Samsung/Sony/Toshiba/Mitsubishi.

Sony's are nice - but pretty pricey. LOTS of people have Samsungs and they're pretty comparable to Mitsubishi price wise (for similar features) which is in between Toshiba's and Sony's.

Personally I was looking for something cheap - and I ended up with the toshiba 65hm167 and I LOVE IT. Amazing picture, 3 HDMI inputs (which may or may not matter if you're gonna also get an AVR with HDMI for the new soundtrack options) and you can probably pick it up for around $1500 (I paid more a couple months ago, but it's come down in price considerably, mainly because toshiba announced they're discontinuing their DLP line). Everyone that's ever come over to my house has been blown away by my TV (except for reef nerds who care more about my tank /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif)

If you've got more money to spend I would say look at the Sammy's and Sony's. The new sony XBR3 (or XBR5 IDK 1 is the LCD one is the DLP equivalent called LCOS) are SWEET, but they're pretty pricey. The previous year's 60" Sony model was more expensive than my 65" toshiba and had less features...the new ones which are the same model year as my toshiba are like twice as much as I paid.

I don't know how far away you're gonna sit - but I'm about 10-12' away from mine. At first I was like "WOW this is huge, did I go too big?" - but that lasted for all of 10 minutes - now I think I got the perfect size.

All that being said - I won't buy a DLP in the future, but that's only because the Plasma/LCD prices will have dropped enough by the time I'm ready to buy more TVs in 3+ years. DLP has an awesome picture, is the cheapest technology currently and the only downsides are the size (won't hang on the wall) and there really is a sweet spot for viewing (most people put the sweet spot where they view from a seated position, so if you're standing you can't see it as well or vice versa that's why when you go to a store the DLPs are all much higher than you'd have them in your house cause people are standing walking through the store).

6. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    PS - if you want a good source of information once you narrow it down to a couple models here's a great forum. This link goes to their rear projection area, but if you decide on LCD or Plasma they have areas for those technologies as well.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=63

7. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Toshiba has a great viewing angle and my son is in heaven with his xbox...

DLP is defintely the way to go if you dont need to hang it on the wall...

eins

8. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the help guys it's def. appreciated. I did a quick glance at the avs forum and doesn't sound like the mits. is the best way to go. Sounds like they're def. lacking on the Customer service end of things.

That 73" DLP is pretty tempting though! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif It really wouldn't take up any more room that my entertainment center is taking up now!

9. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I will agree with einsteins that my toshiba DLP has a much better viewing angle (both horizontal and vertical) than other DLPs I've seen in person, but DLPs aren't the way to go if the TV will often be viewed from different viewing "heights" (I wouldn't worry that much about horizontal viewing, mine is pretty easy to see even from a 45 degree angle, nothing like a LCD or plasma though which can be seen perfectly standing almost parallel to the set)

10. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    whatever you buy make sure you spend the extra money for the extended warranty.
    75 percent of the time fixing a hd tv exceeds its worth.

11. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    good advice on the warranty...especially if you get a DLP.

I rarely buy extended warranties and didn't on my TV, but after reading some more I wish I had.

If you do buy a DLP and warranty make sure the warranty includes a bulb replacement and if the one from whatever retailer you buy from is too expensive there's a link somewhere on the avs forums to one offered by a 3rd party that's a good deal.

12. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Most of the time I'm sure the TV will be viewed while at the same height. I usually don't stand up and watch TV at night! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif I was more concerned about the angle of view. It's pretty hard to make sure everyone is looking straight at the TV. Also the TV will be viewed from 10 - 12' away. How big of a set should I be able to get away with?

13. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would say 65" and maybe a little bigger (70" would prob be OK, but might be pushing it).

I typically watch my 65" at 10-12' and occasionally at 8 or 9' and it's fine...but it does take some getting used to.

I also don't usually stand to watch my TV either - but if you're a gamer and you play a lot of Wii or Guitar Hero then you're usually standing!

14. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Philby on 12/11/2007 3:14 PM
    I would say 65" and maybe a little bigger (70" would prob be OK, but might be pushing it).
    That's what I was hoping to hear! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif  Bigger is always better!/site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/w00t.gif

15. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Especially when you're talking about TVs and Tanks!

16. reeffreak3652

reeffreak3652 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hmmm....well i still love my HD projector, takes up no room and has a 100 inch by 85 inch viewing area.