1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

What is your frag tank setup?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Derek34, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    ok thanks! I like it.

2. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    Not the best/ideal setup. Just chimed in since u had asked about cutting a 55.
    Good footprint with ample space for cheap lol

Sent from my SM-J710MN via App

3. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    What would you change about it?

4. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    Nothing with the actual tank itself. Cheap and effective way to make a frag tank if you have access to a free/cheap 55gal.
    And rimless so looks pretty good lol

Didnt think it would bow before i made it since only 13" tall but what was the bottom (now the back) of the 55 is tempered and thus thinner than the rest of the glass. That panel was the only one that bowed. It was minimal but none the less it bowed. So i just added a brace from scrap. Took care of the bow

If your going for growth, id cram as many t5s above as possible with one of the led stunner strips for "pop".
    I just used the black boxes cause i had them laying around.

And if sps frags skimmer would be good im sure. Probly other lighting ideas also. Im not really a sticks guy haha

5. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Really good info. Thanks for taking the time!

6. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    No problem!

7. Drewster

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    If you don't need as much capacity as what a 55 provides, I've done the same thing with a 20h. Works great and is a good cheap way to start a frag tank. Still allows quite a few frags to be kept.

8. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I've been torn on what size to go with. Smaller on space is always kinda nice with the floor plan however knowing me I will probably just want to go bigger down the road. Seems to be how this hobby (obsession) works!!! So I'm still trying to decide.

9. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Ok jumping back in on this. What would you guys recommend for lighting on a 4'L x 21"W x 13"T mixed frag tank?

10. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    2 black boxes or a 4' 6bulb t5

Sent from my SM-J737P via App

11. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    4 bulb t5 may be good enough since its shallow

12. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Would metal halides be overkill on something like this since it would be shallow, a mixed tank, and I don't want to suspend them 10 feet in the air!?

13. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0

upload_2018-11-1_12-21-54.png

upload_2018-11-1_12-22-29.png

You're thinking something like this? This is an 8 bulb fixture but I can get it in less.

14. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    U could, looks pretty industrial tho.
    Im sure somone in the area has a 6bulb aquarium (slimmer/sleeker lol) fixture layin around.

2 black boxes would probly be the most cost efficient method

15. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    I'm thinking that though because the price is right! I can get that for about $90. At the moment functionality is more important that looks. It'll be in the basement anyway. Not a display frag tank. I'm doubting I can get an aquarium fixture cheaper than that. Black boxes may be the most cost effective you are right because I would still have to purchase bulbs for the T5 fixture. Would T5 result in better growth? Do you think there would be any functionality difference in this industrial fixture vs an aquarium fixture?

16. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    know of anybody selling black boxes and what they are asking for them?

17. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    yeah it would work, just looked rather large lol.
    functionally the same, just less features; timer, separate switches/cords for ext timers, reflector quality, ect

figure in the 8 bulbs, decent brand 15-25/each, plus a few extras it will take to get the color blend you like.
    will probably grow better than standard black boxes (not necessarily the expensive leds), but wont have the pop of blue leds and the cost savings of no bulbs.
    if set on t5 id do 6 bulb and add one of the reefbrite, or similar, 36 or48" led strip fixtures

fwiw, id be running all t5&halide if cost of use and bulb replacement wasnt an issue, cant go wrong w t5/halide combo for excellent growth

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  18. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Would halide be a concern on a mixed shallow tank? Also would you only run the halides for a few hours then rely on the T5's for the rest of the time?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  19. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    depends on what your looking to keep in there. hi light sps yeah lower light softies may not like it. depending on how far away they are your par will vary so it all depends. so for mixed shallow id probly stick with the t5s or leds

20. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Thanks a ton for the input.