1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

What is your frag tank setup?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Derek34, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Hi everybody,

I'm curious what you have for a frag tank set up. I'm considering setting one up and wondering how you are doing them and setting them up. Mine will need to be a stand alone unit. Pictures are always welcome! Thanks in advance!

2. Buku Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +202 / 4 / -0
    Mine is a 4’x4’x1’ tank. I just plumbed it into my 300. I had it on its own sump last year and it just ends up being more testing and maintenance.

9A421253-704E-4EFC-83B6-9D8ED4F9C6D2.jpeg

3. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    @Buku@Buku when you had it separate did you have a skimmer and/or reactor(s) hooked up to it. I've read some people don't even use a skimmer just some live rock. That seems off to me. I would think you would really want a skimmer.

4. Buku Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +202 / 4 / -0
    If you’re doing it for shows you won’t need a skimmer. If it’s going to be up and running I would put s skimmer on it. I ran gfo and carbon on it too.

5. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    It would just be a grow out tank. I was figuring a skimmer and reactors would be required. Even though the bio load would be low I still figured you would want those. Thanks for the feedback. Anybody else care to share what they are doing for a frag tank?

6. Buku Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +202 / 4 / -0
    Before I moved, the frag tank was coral only. Granted it was pretty stocked with coral, but I emptied the cup every 2 week.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  7. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Good to know!

8. Waterrat41 Addicted Reefer GIRS Member

Des moines
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -0
    Hey @Derek34@Derek34 this is a good subject, I had been thinking about this too as I need a place to put some frags (display tank is getting overgrown with corals!)

I was curious as to what non-coral livestock people put in their frag tank to keep it clean?

Not trying to hijack your thread, just really curious.

9. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    A lot of the systems I've read about have 1 maybe two fish such as a six line wrasse to help with pests and maybe a tang. Then usually some snails as well. I've also heard of some that go with no fish at all. People with experience please jump in!

10. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Anybody here ever cut a 55 gal in half height wise? I'm thinking about trying it.

11. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Barrels aren't too stiff cut in half, not sure that would work the best. I think you would be better off with something like a hydroponics tray or something that has a rim designed not to flex and move when filled with water.

12. xiaoxiy

xiaoxiy

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    Mine is plumbed into the main system and sits to the right of my display tank! It is 20 gallons and has 2 MP10 powerheads, pointed towards each other, for flow.

[​IMG]Untitled by Xiaoxi Yang, on Flickr

13. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    i have, makes a good cheap frag tank, 4'x21x13"tall. basically laying a standard 55 on its side. pick up a leaky free 55 and give it a go. do have to brace the middle tho, bows out slightly without one.

i just cut down one front/back panel.
    have also done it to many 29s which makes a
    30l x20w x 13tall

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  14. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    I was thinking maybe I could some a euro brace with the material cut off. Obviously I would have to cut the excess down to fit but that was my thinking. How did you cut the 4' sides. Score and snap?

15. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    Yes. just scored n snapd, couple imperfections on the cut so its a wave front .
    Probly not pretty enough for some but works for me, and just cost a lil time and some silcone[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-J710MN via App

16. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    @D007@D007 What do you run for filtration on something like that?

17. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    Just a lil gfo and some floss in a canister. Changed out every other wk. Have macros in there behind the rock and scattered about. Nothin fancy

18. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    no skimmer?

19. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    Turned lights on just for pic so corals arent really open.
    Everything stays happy with how its setup. Cheap leds and a t5 retro

20. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    No skimmer.
    Only a few fish and no sps so with the macros and bit of gfo, not much need for one