1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

What is your favorite coral in your tank?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by slovan, Nov 27, 2007.

1. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Okay, I thought it would be neat to see what people consider their most prized coral.  It doesn't have to be the most expensive or the biggest one.  Which coral would you be most upset with if you lost it?
    Here's mine...The purple monster has been with me since my first tank.  It's been on the brink of death twice and now I have a frag of it back in my tank. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif
    [​IMG]

2. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I am going with my Scripps millie.  Pretty, fast grower, and it seem that nothing seems to bother it.  During my "dark days" during the summer it clugged along like nothing was wrong.
    I love the big tabling look.
    Day one after mounting (got it from Bullet BTW)
    [​IMG]
    A few random pics.
    [​IMG]
    top down
    [​IMG]
    and a updated one I took this mourning
    [​IMG]

3. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looks nice Covey! I like the ORA Scripps milli a lot.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    heh. my xenia and cespitularia.... im square like that.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My current favorite.  Little LPS hitchhiker.
    [​IMG]

6. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What is that Ryan?

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't know. That's the one I was telling you about earlier.  All I know is that it's non-photosynthetic (it was on the underside of a lobophyllia colony for a couple years) and the skeleton looks like a dendrophylliidae.  'Cept it's little at the moment.

8. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just spent a few minutes looking at my tank inhabitants and trying to decide which I liked the best or rather, what would make me the saddest if I suddenly lost it.
    I have far too many favorites to pick just one but today I would have to say I love my Lobo.  It's color is really striking and you can see it from across the room.  It eats like a pig and opens it mouth with any hint of food in the tank.
    [​IMG]
    Strong runner-ups would be every single one of my acans, the pink chalice that positively glows (from Ben) , and my pipe organ coral. 

9. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By covey on 11/27/2007 8:06 PM
    I am going with my Scripps millie.  Pretty, fast grower, and it seem that nothing seems to bother it.  During my "dark days" during the summer it clugged along like nothing was wrong.
    I love the big tabling look.
    Day one after mounting (got it from Bullet BTW)
    [​IMG]
    A few random pics.
    [​IMG]
    top down
    [​IMG]
    and a updated one I took this mourning
    [​IMG]
    That Mille is to die for Covey.  Color me green with envy!!

10. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By ryansholl on 11/27/2007 10:08 PM
    [​IMG]
    Does it eat and does it have a skeleton?

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, you'd be able to see the skeleton if it wasn't full of cyclopeeze in the photo /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

12. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It kind of reminds me of a dendro but I don't think they come in that coloration.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think we've officially hijacked the thread.

My long-standing favorite coral is this chalice, which originally looked like this

[​IMG]

then died back to almost nothing (maybe three little nubs of living flesh) and has come back as this

[​IMG]

14. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]
    My guess would be a Dendro too. There are a few that stay very small. Where was your rock from? And how long did it take to pop up or be noticed?  It could also be a form of Rhizotrochus Typus

15. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Here's a oldie but a goodie
    [​IMG]

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]
    It's Culicia tenella, for those interested.  Little Australian coral that evidently is really only referenced in Veron's book.  It stays tiny, and from the 1 or 2 pictures I managed to find of it on the web I'm not sure if it will ever divide. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif

17. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good job on identifying it. Do you have any links to those pictures that you saw in your search? BTW, it's a neat coral! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

18. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think this one is becoming my new favorite.  It's one of the Aussie acans I got from Fragglereef.  It was really small and closed up before so I never really got a good picture.  It's really turning into a nice little piece with the contrasting pink, red,blue and green.

[​IMG]

19. Bullet

Bullet Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That was always one of my favorites too Covey. I liked it because it would be a different color if you looked at from the top or through the front glass. It was always hard for people to buy that one when they came over to buy frags...which was fine with me. My next tank will be starfire!

20. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Sweet I knew you couldn't stay out. he he.

You've got to throw some of your old pics up to show the newbies what they are missing.