1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

What is this?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DLesan, Nov 12, 2008.

1. DLesan

DLesan Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

[​IMG]

2. DLesan

DLesan Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    For some reason the description did not post with the picture.

Anyway yesterday I came home to a find a couple of patches of white crusty looking material on some of my "new" live rock, then today there were several of these white oval egg shaped particles around the patches. Can anyone help me ID these patches / particles?

The "new" live rock (marshal island) has only been in the tank for about a month and is just starting to develop some pink, red and lime green coraline patches. The tank itself is only about 3 months old.

Thanks in advance - Dae

3. Anna

Anna Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Edit now that your description showed up...
    Can you get a closer picture?  On most digital cameras it's a little flower icon to get into macro mode, which should help you get into focus for a closer photo.

4. DLesan

DLesan Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I will try. It's a corner tank (bowed front) and it seem like the closer I get to the glass the more distortion I get.

5. DLesan

DLesan Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I tried several settings macro, zoom, macro zoom, auto-focus, manual focus all on a tripod and the best pictures were only marginally better than the one posted. The patch is toward the back of the tank and I cannot get the camera close enough to it to get a really good shot. That along with the curvature in the glass is giving me trouble. I think the only way I am going to be able to get a really good picture of it is to take it out of the tank and I don't want to do that.

Dave

6. Anna

Anna Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You could try taking a top down shot - just move the lighting/canopy out of the way and turn off the flow and you might be able to get a clearer picture.