1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

What is this coral - Pic inside

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gb387, Mar 17, 2009.

1. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I bought a frag of this sometime ago and I am not sure what it is.  I was told its very aggressive and keep other corals away from it, this I have done.  I was initially told it was tongue coral after asking around but to me it doesn't look quite the same.  The base is a very nice deep green with what appear to be 'lots of mouths' and it will take various foods, flake/frozen/just about anything the food seem to disappear into the coral. 
    My photo stinks....  the base of the coral is a really nice green, the underside is yellow (before it decided to attach to a rock buried in the sand) an the tentacles are a very light green.  After experimentation it seem to like a medium flow/varying flow and light doesn't seem to matter much.  Seems to be a fast grower and I would like to get some frags off it in the next month or two but need to know what it is.  [​IMG]
    Again this photo stinks, still working on that ability.
    [​IMG]

2. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    picture not working

3. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What? Looks great on mine- just a min  Its on my google account as I am having trouble uploading to GIRS.
    EDIT:   I have it set to public, never had a problem before can anyone else see it?

4. nope.

5. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    Is it a encrusting sps or some type of lps?

6. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    I can see it fine

7. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    I can see it fine

8. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0

Don't know what it is, pic isn't working for me but I seem to be able to paste it for you.
    Weird.
    Never mind - you must have changed something just as I did that [​IMG]

9. Now that he did whatever he did I can see it fine. Have no idea what it is though. (I'm a newbie though too so that doesn't mean anything)
    EDIT : Some kind of duncan maybe?

10. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I duno... it all seems to be set up right. I guess the photo does stink!! EDIT - I pasted the link again, sounds like its working
    Anyway, back to the coral for Bill... Not sure if it is suppose to be encrusting. It was not when I got it but it latched onto a rock that was in my sand bed.

11. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That is a Galaxy coral. It has milky white feeding tentacles that will release and sting other corals. It seams like the more current you push at them, the more they like to release their tentacles.

12. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By calebjk on 03/17/2009 04:02 PM
    That is a Galaxy coral. It has milky white feeding tentacles that will release and sting other corals. It seams like the more current you push at them, the more they like to release their tentacles.
    I have never seen it release tentacles and I have never seen them get any longer than whats in the photo. -huh

13. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    Is it encrusting hydnophora? That's what it looks like from the pic.

14. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    why can't i see the pic?

15. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here it is for those of you that can't see it.
    [​IMG]
    Most tongue corals that I've seen are not this dense...on the ones I've seen, the base plate is visible when the tentacles are extended.  
    Reminds me of this...
    [​IMG]
    even though I'm betting it's not.  What does it look like at night when the tentacles are not extended?  What do the mouths look like?
    --AJ

16. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    I know we have not setteled the issue of the first coral but here is a coral i have had for a couple years never knew the name and have never seen it anywere else.Dose anyone know what it is?
    http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss63/BUY_BAFF/DSCN0360-1.jpg

17. wolfman1973

wolfman1973 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    looks like a Galaxy coral to me

18. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hmm i dunno, on either, but wouldn't mind trying to keep some haha

19. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am still a little doubtful so, I will get a photo with the tentacles retracted and see if that helps. It is very sensitive and does retract its tentacles very fast, then a few min later they will be fully extended.

20. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Maybe this will help more...  I guess the base its green, its just the tentacles, they are just a deeper green when they are retracted.  The base is a pale pinkish color.  It is some sharp stuff you bump your hand against it and it will give you a little cut.
    It would be nice if I could get a better photo with the true colors of it.  [​IMG]
    [​IMG]