1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

What is this? A tube anemone?!?!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by h2so4hurts, Sep 29, 2008.

1. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My girlfriend found this in my tank today.  It's purple with whitish stripes.  Its tentacles move and grab stuff out of the water.  Pretty cool, but I want to be sure it's not going to kill anything in my tank!

[​IMG]
    Sorry about the quality. It's about the size of a penny right now.

2. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's a glass anemone or commonly known as aptasia. It is a pest kill it asap, and kill it well, as they will spread and they will sting anything it's near.   It you have kalkwasser, make up a paste of it, turn off your powerheads and paint it on the anemone or use a syringe and squirt it on.
    http://www.reefcorner.com/SpecimenSheets/aipatasia.htm

3. reefgoon09

reefgoon09 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Get rid of that stuff asap because it spreds fast! I good way to get rid of aptasia is peppermint shrimp. I had about 20 or so aptasia's in my tank and got sick of it so I just put 2 pep shrimp in there and within 2 weeks they were all gone. Haven't seen one since I have put them in there! Worked great, plus they are kinda a cool shrimp!Hope this helps!

4. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Yes, kill it now and kill it carefully by covering it with Kalk paste (or you Aiptasia-X).

I know that they look neat at first, but that one will turn into 2, then 4, then 8, then 16... You get the picture.

It's worth noting that the worst think you can do is try and cut it out or pull it out with your hands. All that will happen is that it will release it's larva and you will have baby aiptasia everywhere. This is one of the reasons that I recommend Aiptasia-X. It kills them in a way that prevents them from spreading.

-JB

5. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'll see if I can grab some peppermint shrimp from Hung tonight. If that doesn't do it, I'll order some Aiptasia-X. Haha, I guess my Yellow Longnose Butterfly doesn't like Aips as much as the Copperbanded. Thanks again for the help!

6. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That Aiptasia-X makes me giggle everytime I watch the video. Great stuff.

7. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Joes Juice works really well too

8. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    I'd save your money on both accounts and hit the local grocery store and pick up a can of mrs wages pickleing lime....it's kalk in a can.....2 bucks and you'll solve your issue

9. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I forgot that Hung is closed on Tuesdays. It's kinda nice living 500ft from him though /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif How much pickleing lime should I use? 2-3 mLs? Squirt it directly on or inject it with a 22g syringe?  It doubled in size since last night and has 5 new tentacles.  I think that's a pretty good sign that its a pest.  Most desirable things don't grow that fast

10. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, the Mrs. Wages definitely decimated the anemone, haha, is it bad that the fish ate some of the chunks of calcium that floated away from the mess?

11. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    My fish have been eatting bits and peices for years and they seem ok.....well except the one that stares at himself in the glass...glad that you got it taken care of. J

12. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    FOund another one in my caulerpa sump today while I was cleaning. I actually hope they keep growing. Killing them with a cloud of that stuff is a lot of fun /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif Actually, I'll almost bet that Aip-x is a suspension of Lime and sucrose. It looks exactly like that (Sucrose and water would make it really tasty for the anemone and sticky). Maybe I'll grab some sucrose from lab and try that next time.