1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

what is the best wavemaker system

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jsprague, Feb 25, 2009.

1. jsprague

jsprague

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just upgraded my 75gal to a reef ready 150gal system.  Right now I have a genx pcx-40 with two outputs and 1 maxijet with the mod kit.  I am wondering what the best setup for flow/wavemaking would be.  I would like to go towards an SPS dominant tank. (also I do have an ACjr if it makes a difference)  Look foward to everyones opinions.

2. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    i have the korilla wavemaker and wish i would of done tunze powerhead or 2

3. Gered

Gered Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I would look into a Vortech MP40. Pricey but there is many rave reviews and I have seen some vids of some nice wave action coming from them

4. jsprague

jsprague

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Anyone use a vortec? are they worth the money?

5. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'd probably go with Tunze controller and pumps. The nice thing about them is that if you ever get a AquaController, you can control them using an AquaSurf.

The down side to them is that I think Tunze pumps are WAY WAY WAY overpriced.

-JB

6. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  7. jsprague

jsprague

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    so far it looks like a couple people would go for Tunze and a couple for Vortech.  I do have an AC jr. so I would go for the aquasurf if I used a tunze.  Anyone recomend a model and how many for the tunze would go best in my 150gal display?  Also any pros or cons of these or other systems you have experience with and would recommend?

8. Steph & Nick

Steph & Nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I get my tunze nano wavebox on March 3 I can let you know how it performs

9. jsprague

jsprague

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thanks steph. I'm definitely interested in how they do. I'm just wanting to get opinions and do some research and get the right system the first time, instead of wanting something different a few months down the road.

10. Gered

Gered Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    If you want to go the clean route and not have a big powehead sticking out from the side of your tank I would say the vortech is your best bet. Whenever I go big the Vortech will be in my tank because I prefer a clean look.

11. Doodaa

Doodaa Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I recently purchased the Vortech MP40 gen2. It totally rocks in my 75 gal. I removed my 2 hydor koralia 2's which didn't do enough anyway, but the vortech is by far the best powerhead I've used...never used the Tunze, but I'm assuming they are similar in power. I like the controller and the power of the pump. It's pretty easy to get a wave motion going with it and it's variable speed so it has a wide range of functions.

12. jsprague

jsprague

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just ordered the mp40w from premiumaquatics.  I just ordered one to start with.  Will let you know what I think.