1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

what do you think are the best xenia growing conditions?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guest, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    wondering -
    for the people who thing xenia is weed like - what conditions was it under?
    high/ low flow? high light/low light?
    trying to grow it on the glass... i love how it looks and im just trying to figure out where the best spot to start from would be.
    thanks!

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mine was a nuisance right under 400w 10ks in low flow.

3. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ben,  I'm going to remind you of this 6 months from now when you start the "how do I kill this Xenia it has taken over my tank" thread.[​IMG]
    But seriously once they get somewhat established they'll grow like weeds.  They'll spread like aiptasia, anything they touch they'll be on and grow.  Just give them some time.  Mine took off after around 6 weeks of setting up my tank.  If you put them down low they will climb up the rocks leaving Xenia everywhere in their path to more light.  If you put them up high they'll tend to get thicker and bushy.  They are still my favorite softy they just spread to fast and can take over to much if not controlled.
    BTW. I find they grow best in a garbage disposal.[​IMG]

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    They can also drop little bastard xenia children that will float around the tank and adhere wherever they land.

5. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You will hear that they like low flow and a slightly dirty/established tank. They do not handle raised levels of nitrates very well.

6. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Travis, what do you call raised levels? More than 20ppm?

7. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree when my tank was dirty (no water changes) it grew like mad. 1 month ago i took out the colony to let it die. It was infested with hair algae.