1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

What do you keep in YOUR refugium??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RobynT, Sep 3, 2008.

1. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My husband got my refugium "online" yesterday. It sits on top of my rubbermaid stock tank and is fed by one of the return lines from the main tank and then gravity flows back into to sump via a standpipe that draws water off the top.
    What do you keep in your fuge? I have a small temporary one set up that I will transfer those inhabitants into the larger fuge tomorrow. I think I'm going to just stick with some small pieces of live rock, chaeto, bristle worms, limpets, small serpent stars, some yellow sponges and hopefully pods and my mandarin fish. I've had a mandarin in my 90 gallon for over a year and he started looking skinny about 8 weeks ago and I have been really worried about him. I guess I shouldn't have added a sixline to my tank because that must be what changed his pod population. Anyway, in the week that he's been in the temporary fuge with no competition, he looks less thin so I'm hoping that he'll do ok in his new home.
    Any suggestions of what I can add to the fuge? What do you have in yours that I don't have in mine, and why? What would you NOT put in yours if you had it to do all over again?  

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I like to get as much stuff in as I can. I have small rubble, sand, cheato, and mangroves. I dont have any actual inverts or fish besides pods in mine, I also like keeping dead coral skelatons in there. To me it will help calcium & ph as well as giving pods another place to reproduce.

3. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Cheato, live rock and a deep sand bed.

I also have a few small blue-leg hermits running around in there too.

-JB

4. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Have any experience with red algae?  I just wondered, it looks pretty.

5. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i got some red grape calerpa, and it never really took off. I keep cheato and green calerpa in mine, along with a small amount of rock and a 2" sand bed, i don't have much rock because my tank is mostly rock. the calerpa grows like crazy, so i feed it to my tang and my long spine sea urchin, they love the stuff. I also some how ended up with a very thick farm of tube worms where the overflow runs into the tank. if you or any other CLUB MEMBER wanted to bring a bucket and help me weed out my fuge, you're welcome to.

6. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hmm, I grew calerpa once in my old refugium but I took it out because I was afraid it would go asexual.  This fuge is big enough that I could keep it separated and grow a small amount.  I would love to have something natural to feed my tangs rather than nori sheets.  Luckily my hair algae seems to have disappeared but they never ate that anyway!
    Are there any other kinds of algae's that are easy to grow and that tangs like to eat?

7. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    none that i'm aware of, but fish can be so unpredictable with their appetites.