1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

What do you feed your tank?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by slovan, Mar 6, 2008.

1. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

A few questions about feeding popped into my head.  What are you feeding your tank and how often?  Are you feeding for fish only, corals or both?
    I feed homemade frozen food every other day.  The food is targeted for fish and coral but more of an emphasis on corals.  On the off days, I feed lightly with Spectrum pellets and Formula One flake.

2. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I feed frozen food once a week. I feed a mixture of freeze dried plankton, flake, and pellet daily, mostly Formula 1 & 2. Also dried seaweed a couple times a week.  Also some frozen rotifers for the coral once a week.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mix of squid, fish meat, raw shrimp, krill, mysis, cyclopeeze, nori, and formula 1 and 2 for the fish. Try to get them one big chunk a day, if I get around to it, or 2 3/4 chunks twice a day if I'm at home. If I feed the corals, it's oyster eggs and phytoplankton and I turn the skimmer off for 3-8 hours, or spot feeding cyclopeeze for the lps, pieces of the fish food for the Rlps, and oyster eggs for the sps. Corals don't get fed very often anymore.

4. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My tank gets formula 1 and 2 flake, seaweed salad a couple of times a week and a freeze dried krill dropped in twice a week for the wrasse to beat up on.

I am most likely going to buy a bag of rhome made food from JJ though to see if it makes any difference. As it is now, my fish always seem like they are starving although they don't look skinny or anything.

5. kgehrke

kgehrke Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Does JJ sell it to anyone? I've been looking for a better food for my coral, and I'm not sure what I want to use yet.

6. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You would have to contact him through Reef Central. I wouldn't presume to answer for him.

7. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    This is kind of a fun thread. I feed a lot of different stuff. I feed Formula Flake daily sometimes a few times day. I feed frozen homade food a few times a week, which is some concaction that Jason G. made. I also feed Rods Food a few times a week. Then about once a week a give the tank treats, sometimes its Reef Chili, Cyclopeze, or Prawn Eggs. I think feeding a good variety is pretty important so i try to keep a lot of different foods on hand and try not to over feed.

8. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    I feed a mix I've been using for a few years that has a bunch of stuff in it. I usually feed a smaller chunk daily. It has oyster eggs and a group of smaller sps type foods mixed into it so I never really feed corals anything special.

9. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    I guess I am bad, I feed spirulina flake once a day and frozen brine shrimp or mysis or black worms or krill on the weekend. I guess I better get more variety of dry food or feed frozen more often.

10. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Rods for fish and coral...Zeo additives to target specific coral needs

eins

11. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I feed excessively. Rods food and prawn eggs daily. dry flake, spectrum pellets, and sea veggie flakes twice daily on a timer.

I then over skim the tank for good measure.

12. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I do Rod's everyday or every other, Prawn eggs every 3rd day. I target feed PE mysis mixed with either coral frenzy or cyclops every other to every third day. My anemone gets some krill or silversides every 3rd day.