1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

What can I trade my points in for???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Travis, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just noticed I am accumulating a bunch of points next to my post meter.  Is there a GIRS forum store where I can trade in my points for cool GIRS gear? [​IMG]

2. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    NEvermind, I just read the sticky... Sorry JB I should have read about the new upgrades before posting. I would delete this, but I am sure someone else will learn from this thread. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

3. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Why does it say 462 of 500? Do I have 462 and something magical happens if I hit 500 or is the 500 a different type of point all together? I AM SOOOO CONFUSED!!! LOL

4. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OK now that post showed me that they both went up with a single post. It is the unobtainable goal, like putting a carrot on a stick out infront of a horse. Very clever.

5. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Cool I just checked out the "Unresolved" function. Can we always get in to the post to edit them now or is there a time limit? BTW there is 8 points waiting for whomever answers this question correctly... /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

6. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Do I get a point deduction for talking to myself?

7. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Looks like it's time to try the points deduction admin feature... /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif

8. Garrett

Garrett Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If I understand it right, first number is the amount of posts you have, and the second number is the amount of points.  Some things are worth more than one point such as starting a thread.

9. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Garrett on 09/19/2008 06:45 AM

Posted By Travis on 09/19/2008 05:36 AM
    OK now that post showed me that they both went up with a single post. It is the unobtainable goal, like putting a carrot on a stick out infront of a horse. Very clever.
    If I understand it right, first number is the amount of posts you have, and the second number is the amount of points.  Some things are worth more than one point such as starting a thread.
    If that were true there may be a flaw...  I took a 5 point jump on the left number when I posted the Not Resolved part of this thread.

10. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By jbrunken on 09/19/2008 06:11 AM
    Looks like it's time to try the points deduction admin feature... /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif
    I am sure that feature will only be exercised as aynone gets close to your point total JB... [​IMG]

11. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I dont know how I got so many, I didnt think I was anywhere near 500 posts, but I guess I could be wrong.

12. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By lee on 09/19/2008 06:29 PM
    I dont know how I got so many, I didnt think I was anywhere near 500 posts, but I guess I could be wrong.
    It is funny that you have double the amount of points to posts.  I don't get this system...

13. Steph & Nick

Steph & Nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    2) The forum now has a "points" system to encourage participation. The "post info" area on the left side of a forum post now shows the users current number of points. Different activitys on the forum will give you different numbers of points. For example, here's how points are currently awarded:

Posting a New Topic: 3 points
    Replying to a Topic: 1 point
    Providing the answer to an unresolved topic: 8 points
    Marking a post as the correct answer to an unresolved topic: 5 points

Points can also be awarded (or deducted) by admins when they see fit. What will the most points get you besides bragging rights? Well, that's still TBD, but I'm sure the BOD will come up with something.

14. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm, I just accepted responses on 2 different threads and got 0 points...

15. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Points are a calculated value, so (for performance reasons) they are most likely cached by the server.   When the current cached value expires and it re-calculates, you should see a change.
    -JB

16. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm beating the webmaster by 1 point... hehe!