1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

What brand of additives do you prefer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rustin, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Rustin

Rustin Inactive User GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am currently using kent marine products for my tank and dont really have any complaints. I was just wanting to know other peoples experiences with other brands. What invert foods do you like best?

Thanks

2. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The best additive is a regular water change with a good brand of salt. Next to that, the only thing I worry about is Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium and I use the DIY recipies for all of those...

I occasionally feed a bit or phyto or various coral foods, but the main thing I do is feed the fish. Everything else pretty much takes care of itself.

-JB

3. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree with JB. The general rule of thumb is that you have to test for whatever you add to the tank, don't add it unless you can test for it. Use good water, good salt and have a regular maintenance schedule. I use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals and use lime water/kalkwasser (Mrs. Wages from Hyvee) as my top-off water and it has been working great so far. If you want to add things, I do like Kent, they're a good brand, but I've just found it unnecessary really. Just more cost to an already expensive hobby!

4. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I also agree with JB and phishcrazee. No need to pay the prices for expensive additives. Good salt, good water changes and control of CA and Alk with Kalk or DIY two part. This recipe has produced amazing tanks. Then you have more to spend on great frags and great equipment.

5. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    JB what is the DIY recipies that you are using.

6. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I use Pickling Lime for cal. Epson Salt for mag, and Baking Soda for alk. I have been tring this for about a month now, and seems to be working, just haft to be careful with the baking soda, I had a alk spike on me because i wasn't sure how much to use at first. I also use the C Balance two part from Two Little Fishies. I have never had any problem with that.

7. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The DIY recipies are here: Randy's Two Part Recipies
    If you can't find all of the ingredients locally, you can get them from BulkReefSupply.com
    I wish that the LFS's would start stocking the harder to find ingredients rather than the overpriced commercial additives.   Those additives are fine when you have a small tank, but they would break the bank on a large SPS tank.
    -JB

8. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Zeo and water changes...