1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

What are these drilled holes for?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bela, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So I have no idea what these drilled holes are for on my new tank. I think I figured out that the bottom may have been used for a closed loop but the holes up top have me stumped. I may be completely wrong about the closed loop thing too LOL. Anyhow, here are some pics, maybe someone can help me out?
    BOTTOM OF TANK

[​IMG]
    TOP OF TANK
    [​IMG]

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Yes that is for a closed loop. Now all you need is a pump & some fittings & away you go!

3. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Looks like they used the bottom holes as intakes and the top as outputs on the closed loop.

Thats a cool tank, how big is it?

4. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So if the top is used for a return then the water is filled all the way to the acrylic top? Or is it just splashing down? Or what? Would the pluming go behind the tank in that situation? I don't think I like that /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif I wanted to have a cleaner look without plumbing behind it all and just do it all below. Guess I could just not use the top holes?

And the tank is 150g :)

5. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Well it depends on how big your return pump is. The water should go up about 1/4 inch or so on the teeth. The holes in the top usually would have that loc line (the black platic tubes you allready have.
    Then you can aim the nozzles wherever you want. This will help flow & you can zero in on dead spots.

The pump can go underneath the tank. The return line can go up the back of the tank & T off from there.

If you dont like it, you can plug the bottom holes & just use the regular over flow & power heads for your flow.

6. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    They probably had loc-line hooked to them like the plumbing in the pic. Your probably going to have the water level at least an inch below the top.

The plumbing would run behind the tank and over the top, I would hook it up as your only other option for flow is to use powerheads. The closed loop would look way cleaner and there would only be one pump to maintain rather than a bunch of power heads. 

7. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    see keep that pump your trying to sell and use it for a closed loop here :)

8. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    the top holes might be to run cords for power heads through. I driiled holes in the top of my tank so the cords can go straight down to the power heads

9. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Was that the same tank on Ebay? I belive it is, I was looking at it for a while, but ended up getting AJ's 90 instead.

10. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yep, same one.
    Yeah the holes might have been for chords but they look like they were used for some sort of plumbing from the salt marks still on it.
    I guess i haven't seen enough  larger tanks plumbed to really know what a closed loop coming over the top would look like. Any pics or a website maybe that you all could direct me towards?

11. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OOOHHHHH locline hooked to the top holes (alongside what is already in the tank) yes? HEEYYYYYY that would look NICE /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif
    LOL I reread your post about 5 times until the lightbulb came on. I think that could work to my liking once I have a canopy built and all that jazz.