1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Western Iowa

Discussion in 'Other Areas' started by Geena, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Geena New User

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    How come girs does not have any association with the western side of Iowa? It is all central and eastern.

2. Armydog

Armydog Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Im not sure on that answer. But only thing I can think of is that there isnt enough members in that area. But like I said im not 100% sure

3. Geena New User

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    It shouldn't matter how many members are from that area they should still be accounted for. Also it would grow the group. I always get questions about it. From wearing GIRS shirts. They have salt water items at the pet stores so there has to be some interest.

4. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Ive Actually wondered why also. You do have a point but its nothing I have control of. @blackx-runner@blackx-runner or @Turbo's Aquatics@Turbo's Aquatics might be able to answer that better.

I will agree there are some great stores over in that area. A really nice one in council bluffs

5. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I broke this off into a separate topic under the "other areas" sub-forum

@Geena@Geena thank you for commenting! We started out GIRS with 4 main regions, and recently added a 5th.

As far as CB/Omaha, or Sioux City, etc - what is really needed is someone to step up and say they wish to get an area started. Without that, there is not a lot that the users in another area across the state can do, it really takes a local person who is willing to grab the reigns.

6. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    I bet if there was a western iowa group @adampottebaum@adampottebaum would help out a lot since hes in that area

7. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    It is the Greater Iowa Reef Society. All of Iowa and even some portions of surrounding states.

Our regions are based on populated areas that have the most members.

The club always welcomes people no matter where they are from.

If you want to put a region together, we would encourage that. Basically need to find other members in the area, start getting together and holding meetings. We recently added a region in SE Iowa that gathered enough people.

8. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    @Geena@Geena your location shows Des Moines, is that current? I thought at first that you asked because you were in eastern western iowa - I didn't notice the location. Still it is a topic worthy of a dedicated thread. Do you know a few people in the Council Bluffs/Omaha area?

There is activity there, and I believe there is a Nebraska reef club (or two).

Everyone is certainly welcome...maybe that's just not spelled out very clearly! I would say that GIRS can encompass all of Omaha, same as it encompasses all of the Quad Cities.

9. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I think years ago there was talk about an Omaha region, but there was already 2 clubs in Omaha so the people there just decided to stay with those clubs. Several of them belonged to both clubs.