1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Well, i finally got hit by a bullet...

Discussion in 'Quad Cities Area' started by matt the fiddler, Dec 27, 2007.

1. matt the fiddler

matt the fiddler Inactive User

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Well,  even though I have redundancy on nearly level/ device on my tank.   I got a call from my landlord saying water below, and dead fish above.
    I rushed home from St. Louis...
    All my fish are dead (including some that I have had for 5-6 years), along with all my sps including several LEs and other special corals to me.    most of my softies are dead.
    It looks like a few snails and a few ricordia and zoos survived.  Time will tell.....
    The cause of death is really weird, as I had failures on several different levels.   IE  My Aquacontroller never called my phone saying there was a problem.   The fail safes set in the programming didn't do anything.   The logs showed the Temp on the 26th reachign 90 degrees as well as the PH reaching 9.8 at the same time.  SO it was that double whammy .    It looks liek the KALK over ran,   which I have been VERY carefull to use tripple redundancy and very precise non floatswitch timed dosing.
    I was perplexed..    till I was pulling dead skeletons out tonight..The lights set on MANUEL ON  kept going off.   I just tested a few X10 channels away from the tank,   and VOILA.
    It looks like someone who shares a close power line wiht me got a new electronics toy on Christmas, and caused my tank to go haywire the evening of the 25th and on the 26, till my tank was dead.   MY dosing, Lights, Chiller, etc. all went crazy leading to the highest PH and Temp I have ever had in my tank....
    For the record, I did extensive testing on the X-10 before connecting them, and have used them for 4+ years.  
    So.     wish me luck as I try to keep as much alive as possible..      I am pretty low now...
    On the plus side, I did get a ressaurance about my tank's setup design.    It has returned to normal parameters with in 24 hours of the wipeout without me being there, (ph, temp, nitrites, nitrates, ammonia, salinity, Alk, Calc)    I am watching things closly for spikes, but now that the dead stuff is pulled, keeping the barely alive coral in the tank might be the best bet for tonight.....
    Anywhoo,   I might need for a few of you to watch my remaining coral for a bit...    Mainly Ricordias and zoos...       

2. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Let me know if you need any help. Sorry to here of your lose.

3. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Let me know what I can do...

That really sucks......no more X10's man get DC8's
    I'll get you some frags from my tank when you are ready to get started again, just let me know

My tank can hold some stuff if you need it to...

eins

4. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Holly crap Matt that really sucks man!!! I feel bad for ya', i don't know what i would do to come home to something like that. I run a lot of my equipment on X10's as well and i have never thought about something like that happening. Do you live in an apartment or something??

Let me know if theres anything i can do for you, i would be more than willing to help you out with a few frags when you are ready.

Sorry for your loss man.

5. matt the fiddler

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yea, I live in an apartment.

I had 30 gallons of RO water made before I left, which is for things just like this..... I am getting a 10 Gallon running now which might be a temporary home to some stuff....
    I am not sure if I am going to keep the current system going now, or downsize for the time being. I am anticipating moving in the next 6 months, at the most a year and a half... SO I am trying to weigh that in too.

IT is DEFINALTY the X10, I do live in an apartment, but i have had half of the devices that I didn't shut of popping on and off in the last 2 hours. It is likely a new electronics Christmas gift from someone close to my power, or someone controlling their XMAS lights on a new X10.

What I think really did it was the KALK stirrer turning on several times for a minute here and there, and then dosing at least once every 20 minutes before it settled.. I normally wait the hour before dosing after a stir...., I have been so careful with chemicals that Even if I dumped my entire RO tank at once through my Neilson reactor into my tank without stirring, the tank would be stressed, but not dead.

Waverez, I would see what you can do to get off X10 I have been on them for years, and test every new building. I didn't even consider Neighbor's new toys.....

On the plus side, I think the tank is pretty stable.. time will tell what all the dead snails and coral flesh i didn't get pulled out will do ... Eins, I may throw all my Rics in your tank (hopefully there is still a forest of that rare Orange tomorrow), and then just let my tank stay dark for a few weeks to see if it can recover without algae.....

Will you be around if I call your cell?

Man, I wish you guys could have seen my tank before Hiroshima hit.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry to hear the news, I hope everything turns around fast for you.

7. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm really sorry Matt.  I cannot even imagine the loss of my fish buddies, let alone the corals. 

What is an X-10?  I guess I don't have one since I don't know what it is but I'm sure others are wondering.

8. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    X-10 is an outlet control module for turning devices on and off. It interfaces with the AC to turn pumps lights solenoids etc off and on.

9. matt the fiddler

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the kind words everyone,
    What I am thinking now.. is to downsize. restocking 75 gallons of snails, especially with a move coming up seems like a waste... It will always look bare and empty.... I would rather have a small tank that looks good. I may set up an old 25 and turn it into a ricordia tank or so and keep farming the remaining corals, get a fish or two.... and start planning and saving for my big tank. That would be the 125 or 150 with a sump room I wanted but could not have due to upstairs apartment living. I bought my current gear with a future upgrade in mind, and hope to use my current lights, pumps, rock, filtration, etc. with minimal add ons. other than a few things like DC 8's, luminarcs, an aquasurf, /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif src="/site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif" align=absMiddle border=0> probably another tunze.. Maybe a modded octopus skimmer rather than my bullet 2.
    Robyn,
    X10 is the automation device I use with my aquacontroller.. it sends signals along the existing power lines.
    With that said. I might have a slighly used Ph probe that I won't need on my calcium reactor effluent.. that would be dead by time I use it again..... and several other small items up for sale or trade...
    by the way. I am troubleshooting my X10 interference. since I unplugged the x10 control module, I have not noticed my test modules going crazy. If it isn't neighbors.. Maybe the aquacontroller is on crack. It still should be under warantee....

10. matt the fiddler

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

edit

11. matt the fiddler

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    One more thing.. Does anyone here in town have the ability to drill tanks?

I have a 25 or a 38 I would want to drill if I set it up as a tank.

I just ordered my DC8 can't wait till it comes!

I expect there to be a million questions and thoughts on this thread...... as I figure out how to stabilize again

Just imagine a 25 gallon with 2 Tunzes /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

12. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Matt thats horrible man.

You can't trust x-10 not with anything that could kill your tank.

I've got the dremel bit and have drill tanks before with it. You sure those tanks are not temper

13. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    BTW the title..... Your a Rocky school teacher.... I was thinking other things. Could have been worse.

14. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    matt
    sorry the bad luck bug hit ya.
    i have 1.75 inch bit for 1 inch bulkheads and would drill a tank for you, no problem.
    i even have a 29 gal tank in the basement we can do it with, you can use your other tank you have to use as a sump.
    if you want to take me up on the offer just let me know, i love drilling tanks.

15. matt the fiddler

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    sean, where are you located? clayton can drill too... but that bit sounds like a better plan...

Matt

16. seanndenise1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By matt the fiddler on 12/28/2007 9:08 PM
    sean, where are you located? clayton can drill too... but that bit sounds like a better plan...
    Matt
    im in bettendorf, bring clayton with ya.

17. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well I just got home form Einsteins your rics were starting to open.

18. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Either or just make sure those tanks are not tempered. I thought most that small where.
    That would be a real kick in the teeth at this point.

19. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Did you ever figure out why the AC didn't call you?

20. seanndenise1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By covey on 12/29/2007 1:01 PM
    Either or just make sure those tanks are not tempered. I thought most that small where.
    That would be a real kick in the teeth at this point.
    yeah that would suck.
    im pretty sure most new tanks are tempered on the bottom but not the sides and back. it would be a good idea to figure out what the tank is and get info on it i suppose.