1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Weld-on

Discussion in 'Quad Cities Area' started by Deleted member 46, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
      Does anyone know where to get weldon locally?  I have a acrylic few projects I need to get finished.

2. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By vvolfe1 on 01/03/2008 6:05 AM
      Does anyone know where to get weldon locally?  I have a acrylic few projects I need to get finished.
    There is a place up on Tremont street south of 53rd where I buy mine. Its like Midwest Plastics or Midland Plastic or something like that. They also usually have loads of scrap acrylic for sale cheap just inside the front door. Dont forget the applicator while you are there, and get several, you will inevitably stick the needle into the soft acrylic and clog it up mid project. To get there go north on 74 to 53rd, left on 53rd. Go a mile or so and you will see Tremont, take a left on Tremont. It will be done just a little way on the left hand side. There is not great signage, so you will have to keep your eyes open.

3. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Billy when was last time you were there?

I think they moved ....I was at the new building which is 1 street west of the old location (dont know the name of the street) and it is now on the right side of the street.

eins

4. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By einsteins on 01/03/2008 9:34 AM
    Billy when was last time you were there?
    I think they moved ....I was at the new building which is 1 street west of the old location (dont know the name of the street) and it is now on the right side of the street.
    eins
    Thats right, I forgot they moved over to grand street, sorry Ben.

5. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey, thanks you two. Thanks for the tip on the applicator too. I'd probably just get one and ***** and moan at 2:30 am about how no stores are open. Hopefully all my toys will arrive tomorrow so I can spend my Saturday putting it all together.

6. Madjabjoe

Madjabjoe Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Regal Plastic, Inc. in Evensdale has weld-on and the applicator as well. I think they have a scrap bin that you can dig out as well if you need a small piece to finish your project.

7. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Madjabjoe,
    That one is a little far for me it'll be good to know for anyone in that area though.
    I ended up getting off work early today and going to Midland plastics. It is over at 5060 Grand ave in Davenport. I ended up getting a can of Weldon 3 and a tube of 16. I also got a 1/2 X5' clear tube and a black scrap piece and a few applicators. If anyone decides to go there they close at 4:30. It was nice to my boss let me go early so I could get there.

I just finished putting the top and bottom on my new kalk reactor. It is 6"X17" with a MJ 400 for a stirrer. It is almost identical to the GEO kalk reactor. Tomorrow I'll be putting together a 4" X16" phosphate reactor. I'll try to take pics and do a diy on it.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Glad to hear about your good fortune.  Good luck with your project, I bet it will turn out nice.

9. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By vvolfe1 on 01/04/2008 7:58 PM
    Thanks Madjabjoe,
    That one is a little far for me it'll be good to know for anyone in that area though.
    I ended up getting off work early today and going to Midland plastics. It is over at 5060 Grand ave in Davenport. I ended up getting a can of Weldon 3 and a tube of 16. I also got a 1/2 X5' clear tube and a black scrap piece and a few applicators. If anyone decides to go there they close at 4:30. It was nice to my boss let me go early so I could get there.
    I just finished putting the top and bottom on my new kalk reactor. It is 6"X17" with a MJ 400 for a stirrer. It is almost identical to the GEO kalk reactor. Tomorrow I'll be putting together a 4" X16" phosphate reactor. I'll try to take pics and do a diy on it.
    As a note, the guys at Midland are pretty good sources of information on acrylic construction as well. They helped me find the right saw blades locally to cut sheets as well as walked me through putting pieces together for a good finish. Pretty good guys for sure.

10. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well, It is finally operational.  Here are some pics of the design and the finished one I made.  I just pressure tested it with 35 psi of water for 10 minutes with no leaks.  Now to hook it up to the new auto top off and controller. I'll have to finish the top tomorrow it still needs a 1/2" threaded nipple to a union to add more kalk.

[​IMG][​IMG]

11. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Very nice work Ben. Where did you buy the acrylic tubing from?

12. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Looks really nice! You do good work!

13. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I got the tube off a light fixture my dad had outside his old shop. The tube was 4'x6". I made a skimmer like a G2 or G3 out of one part of it. And still have a 17" peice left. After it is gone I'll probably get some more tubing from http://freckleface.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/acrylictube.html. After doing this and seeing that all my woodworking tools work for acrylic I might go ahead and build a custom sump.
    BTW I made the deacons bench/cedar chest it is on too.[​IMG]

14. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    lets put a little light on the subject here

[​IMG]

yeah that looks pretty good.
    so if you had to buy that tube what would it cost everyone to make one of those?

15. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    8X 1/4"x20 thumb screws $6
    3/16"X6"X60 acrylic tube $130
    scrap acrylic $5
    applicator $3
    weldon #3 $5
    weldon #16 $4
    2 part Epoxy for plastic $6
    1X MJ 400 Pump $15
    2X 1/2" 90's $1
    1X 1/2" Tee $.50
    1X 6" O-Ring $5.50

So, close to $180. The GEO is listed at $240 so you'd be saving only $60 minus the time. You would end up with an extra 42" of 6" acrylic tube. If you already had the tube it would only cost close to $50 which would make it close to $190 saved.
    If you could make one of these there is no reason you could not make a pretty good skimmer out of the rest of the tube.