1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Website Updates

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JB, Oct 30, 2007.

1. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I have released the first wave of updates to our website.   I plan to do quite a bit more, but some of the new stuff is pretty important and I didn't want to hold off the release until everything was in place.
    Here's a brief summary of what's changed:

• New Look and Feel
      This still needs a bit of tweaking, but for the most part I think it's an improvement over what we were using before.

New Forums
      We switched from the free forum system we were using before to a nicer commercial one.  This should bring the capabilities of our forums in line with those on Reef Central and they might even be a bit better in some regards.

New Private Messaging System
      You can now send PM's to other members on the GIRS site (and no, there aren't limits on the size of your PM box here).  You can even send PM's from the forum just like on RC.

New News Article System
      Now anyone can submit news articles to be posted on the website and anyone on the board (or in the webmaster group) can simply approve it.  This should be handy for people outside of the group that want to post information on our site and I'm hoping that everyone (members included) will put it to good use.
    Here's a list of what's coming soon:

• GIRS WIKI
      A place where GIRS members can colaborate on creating a fantastic information resource for all of use to use.

Improved Subscription/Membership Tools
      This should allow the Board members to keep track of all group memberships through our website rather than having to hassle with doing it by hand.

Improved Image Gallery
      This should provide some nice new functionality for us.

2. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looking sweet!!! Seems pretty user friendly also.

3. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I like the new look alot!

haven't played around with it too much - but I like the forum categories and hope it gets used as often as the RC forum!

4. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Looks very good. Great work JB. Now, someone reply to this so I can see if email notices are working.

5. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think I found a bug.

I just opened a new thread in the DM area forum - and I was unable to preview my post....i just got an "error on page" message in my lower left explorer message bar. (happened on this post too, i retested just to make sure it wasn't a fluke)

As far as the subscription functionality goes - I like the way this works a lot!

As long as you click add reply there will be a check box to be notified if you want to subscribe, and in your profile settings you can set if you want that to default to checked or unchecked (instant or disabled).

Not sure what the admin options are for subscribing when you quick reply (ie use the little box below the posts) so maybe that's what was being asked about. (and I can't remember who did the asking cause it was in another thread)

6. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Why am I not authorized to view/reply to the tread in the GIRS members only forum (am I not marked as a member on the forum software perhaps)

and Joel - here's you're reply to test the email notification! I've only got 1 more post to tie your forum leading post count!!!

7. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Posted By jtesdall on 10/31/2007 5:50 AM
    Looks very good. Great work JB. Now, someone reply to this so I can see if email notices are working.
    In order to get email notifications for posts, you need to make sure that you check the box "Check this if you would like to be notified when someone  replies" that is right above the submit button.
    You can set your forum profile up so that this option is automatically checked for you. Do do this,k click on "My Profile", then click the "Edit Profile" link at the bottom of that page.
    One minor complaint that I have about this forum system is that it sends an email for every reply even if I haven't visited the thread since the last reply notification was sent.
    -JB

8. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Philby on 10/31/2007 5:56 AM

I think I found a bug.

I just opened a new thread in the DM area forum - and I was unable to preview my post....i just got an "error on page" message in my lower left explorer message bar. (happened on this post too, i retested just to make sure it wasn't a fluke)
    I've confirmed this problem and I've submitted a help desk ticket to the company that sells the forum.  That's one nice thing about buying a supported product!
    -JB

9. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Philby on 10/31/2007 5:59 AM
    Why am I not authorized to view/reply to the tread in the GIRS members only forum (am I not marked as a member on the forum software perhaps)
    Yes, to be able to view that forum, you need to be in the "GIRS Member" role on the site.   Jason or Jeremy should be able to help you with that.
    -JB

10. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    It seems like this should be the default to send email when there is a reply. What about quick replies, will that send an email notification? If we really want to get this forum going I think it is very important that people get the emails when there is a reply.

11. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    It should be the default now. I think the problem is that you were on the "beta" team so your profile record in the forum DB was created before I changed the default value.

And yes, quick replies should send out notifications just like normal replies.

-JB

12. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By jbrunken on 10/31/2007 8:37 AM
    It should be the default now. I think the problem is that you were on the "beta" team so your profile record in the forum DB was created before I changed the default value.
    And yes, quick replies should send out notifications just like normal replies.
    -JB
    Quick replies will cause an email to go out if you're subscribed to the thread - but will it cause the poster to be subscribed to the thread (if that was their first post to the topic and they've got "auto-subscription" on.
    I like the quoting feature of this forum software - much easier to see where the quote is when I'm writing my post!

13. BigBlue

BigBlue Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hay JB I was just wondering if you would beable to get a better chat program? I ask because the one we got now is ok but it never shows whos on. Well it never dose for me anyways. Like I said I was just wondering.

14. Greater Iowa Reef Society Become a GIRS Member! GIRS Member

Iowa
    Ratings:
    +154 / 0 / -0
    Posted By BigBlue on 10/31/2007 10:39 AM
    Hay JB I was just wondering if you would beable to get a better chat program? I ask because the one we got now is ok but it never shows whos on. Well it never dose for me anyways. Like I said I was just wondering.
    Well, I'd love to put up a better chat application, but it's probably not going to happen.  There are a lot of good chat programs out there, but most of them require some type of chat server be installed and since we don't have a dedicated server that we control, we can't install something like that so we can't use them.
    Alternatively, there is a really nice chat program called cute chat that works with our software, but it costs $300 for a license.  Personally, I'd argue that it would probably be worth it for the group to spend the money given how much we seem to like chat but that's up to the BOD to decide.
    -JB

15. BigBlue

BigBlue Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Cool, I just thought I would ask. The one we got is better then nothing./site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

16. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hey JB - more forum software questions.
    when i open a thread, how do I tell which posts I have/haven't read?
    also is there a "jump to first unread post" feature (not a huge deal, especially once I find out how to tell if I've read a post or not!)

17. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    There is an option under "My Profile -> Edit Profile" where you can tell it to automatically jump to the newest post.
    As for how to make it so that you can tell what posts are new, I'm not sure...   How does RC do it?
    -JB

18. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Right by the timestamp (which is above the user name/info on RC) there is a little logo that looks like a piece of paper with the corner folded - it's blue if you've "read" the post (or more likely opened that page of the thread since that post was posted) or orange if you've not read the post.
    I'm off to update my profile now!

19. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Philby on 10/31/2007 5:56 AM

I think I found a bug.

I just opened a new thread in the DM area forum - and I was unable to preview my post....i just got an "error on page" message in my lower left explorer message bar. (happened on this post too, i retested just to make sure it wasn't a fluke
    I believe this is fixed now.

20. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Worked for me!