1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Web cam idea

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by adampottebaum, Mar 30, 2009.

1. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Hey, I was looking at getting a web cam to visually monitor my tank when I'm gone for a couple days at a time. I am just looking for something cheap and wanted to know if anyone knows of any sites to have a live streaming video from a webcam for free. I just want to be able to view my tank to make sure nothing is going bad and to also get a good view of my sumps water level so I can call a friend/roomate to just top it off or something. I won't be using the camera for chats or any of that, just the tank. Any help is appreciated.
    Adam

2. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    When you're done, can you put it in a girls shower room at UNI?

3. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    haha, i'll have to get a smaller camera for that.

4. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    http://cowboyfrank.net/webcams/HowTo.htm
    Try that. You basically set up your PC as a server and you connect to it securely from another PC. Should do the trick. Make sure you actually scroll down and read. The title kind of sounds like it just goes into setting up the cam, but it explains how to get into hosting and such too.

5. RSchmitz

RSchmitz New User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've got a Logitech QuickCam Orbit that I use for just that purpose. The only thing is that the PC has to be fairly close since its a USB camera. I just allow remote connections to the PC and configure my router to forward to it. For about $100 bucks it provides a bit of peace of mind when you are away. The picture is a bit grainy but with proper light it looks pretty good. That particular camera has pan,tilt and zoom so if it is placed correctly you can adjust it up to see the tank and down to see the sump. The PC also allows me to connect to my aquacontroller and check on the tank stats so it has a dual purpose.

6. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    You can adjust the camera from a different computer? That would be awesome!
    Also, I think I'll just get a USB extension or something, but my computer is in the same room as my tank, so it shouldn't be too difficult.

7. RSchmitz

RSchmitz New User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm a bit of a computer geek so I can't help myself when it comes to my tanks. The max you should try to go from the computer is about 15 ft (the USB specification says 5 meters) If you can do that you should be in good shape, otherwise the cameras start getting expensive.

8. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    heres one for ya on RC that doesn't need a computer just direct connection to internet. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1614323 cheap enough too

9. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You can get a wireless g network cam for around $100....then you just have to worry about being close to a network connection.

--AJ