1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Wavemaker controller/Reefkeeper 2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RobynT, Aug 29, 2008.

1. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I had thought that I would get a Tunze controller for my three Tunze 6100's and then I decided to try the wavemaker function on my Reefkeeper 2. My question is this: is their a huge difference or advantage to using the Tunze model over the RK function? Have any of you used both? Either? I'd just like some input. If a Tunze controller isn't going to do much different that my RK, then why buy another expensive piece of equipment?
    On another note......I really like the look of sand in a tank but now that I have really powerful powerheads, I'm finding that it's not easy to keep the sand where you want it. I'm not sure how to deal with that other than take out some of the sand and learn to live with the fact that it will be gone in the places where the Tunze are directed.

2. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Keep them towards the top of the tank...I have 2x 6101's in my short tank and in wave mode they dont move sand at all but you can see everything at sand level rocking back and forth.

3. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Bill, I will try that.  What type of wavemaker do you have yours on?

4. einsteins

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Aquasurf through my AC3

5. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm not positive, but I think the RK will only turn them on/off and probably only as fast as every other minute. The Tunze controllers don't actually turn the pump all the way off...they just decrease the speed from 30% to 100% as soon as 1 or 2 seconds. If you decide to go with the tunze controllers, I would recommend either the 7094 or 7095 multi controller. The cheap 7091 (which I have) doesn't have very many options to play with. What ever way you go, the corals will still love it.

6. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ahh, now that makes sense Lee. I posted this on three sites and you are the only person that explained what the Tunze controller does exactly.   I took my Tunze off the wavemaker function (RK) because I thought it must be bad for the Tunze to be turned off and on every few minutes (although the function was easy to program and worked exactly as it was suppose to.)  I think I'll get the Tunze multicontroller when I get some more cash flow.  Hubby is really noticing any new items these days (I wonder why......he just installed a bunch of new equipment!)

7. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By einsteins on 08/29/2008 12:39 PM
    Keep them towards the top of the tank...I have 2x 6101's in my short tank and in wave mode they dont move sand at all but you can see everything at sand level rocking back and forth.
    Bill, I moved them up to the top and not only do I like how it looks better, my sandstorm is almost nill!!!
    I am so grateful that you made this suggestion before I started taking out sand.  Since the Tunze on their magnets tends to point down anyway, I think I'm still ok with the flow.

8. einsteins

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Tunzes are not hurt at all by being turned off and on...mine turn completely off and back on again every .7 seconds ....yep I said .7

The greatness of DC pumps!

Bill

9. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Would you mind telling me (reminding me) the location of your Tunze's in your tank (front corners?) how many, placement and what your wave sequence is and why?   I'd like to learn from your setup.
    Thanks!

10. einsteins

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My tunzes are on the end walls not the back... .7 sec on and off essentially is a time that matches the length of my tank. By having the pumps work opposite each other it causes a wave to slosh back and forth in my tank.
    Right now I have it dialed in to about 1.5 in wave during the light cycle and about 3/4 in at non lighted periods.

The aquasurf only works with the AC3 and I have never owned a Tunze controller so I am not sure how to tell you to set it up. before you spend the money on a Tunze controller I would make sure it will let you make waves.

Bill