1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

wave makers vs. vortech

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by saltwaternewbee, Oct 11, 2009.

1. saltwaternewbee

saltwaternewbee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was thinking about upgrading my power heads in our 220 mixed tank(currently using 2 #4's and 2 #3's) and was wondering opinions on which is perfered. I'm finding dead spots and getting a little cyno gtowing. I'm torn between the 2...The Deluxe Hydor Koralia Controller and 4 #4's  would be about $400 for the controller plus $65 for each power head..(the basic is $300 plus 2 pwrhds)

The vortech are a little bit more up front but seem to move alot more water using less pwrhds. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

2. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    i have used 2 #4 on a 75 and wanted more. i would say try the vortecs. plus i would be able to see in action and even play with em a little.

3. Marc

Marc Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have one MP40w and that thing is wicked... it is more than enought for my 75g... but I am gonna get another on so i can have one for my future upgrades... the mp40 comes w/ wireless connectivity to all the other mp40's... it will not connect to the other mp10 or the mp20... better wave... wider wave and a gental wave too... i did alot of research before I bought and it lives up to my expectations... and then some... the wave maker is awesome w/ all the selections it has... and the unit as a total... is very quiet... can hardly hear it

4. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would say go with the Vortech, or the Tunze. I don't think that the Koralia's do a good enough job.
    The Vortech's control themselves and the Tunze can be hooked up to a ACIII. Both have many different setting to try and see what works best for you.
    I think if you are going to start spending that kind of money you should the top of the line equipment and Koralia's just isn't it.

5. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Rich spend the money once and get the vortechs!! You wont be disappointed!

6. Anna

Anna Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'd suggest Vortechs as well. If your budget won't allow two, you might consider getting a couple of Maxijet Sureflow mods in addition to the Vortech, to increase water movement. The Vortech is definitely one of my favorite things I've ever bought for my tank - my corals have reacted very favorably to it!

7. Marc

Marc Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    keep me posted B-Rad... i have a couple others already interested now too

8. saltwaternewbee

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    anyone know of some good deals on the vortechs?

9. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    See http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=209548

--AJ

10. saltwaternewbee

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thanks

11. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    I have 2 vortech mp40 on my 8foot 300gallon tank and they will make a 1 1/2" wave across the tank i have them linked to do the opposite of each other and they work great deffinitly better then 4 korllia 4 that were in the tank did and look alot better then the korlias

12. dzabler

dzabler Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i used to just have Koralias in my tank which were not controllable, i have an mp20 now and it is doind awesome...i even had the Koralias on timers to try to get more random flow and it was just not working...mp20 does the job...actually it even creates an undertoe in my tank...the best example in my tank would be the star polyps i have that never wave the same way, always different...also less cords in the water with the ecotech products