1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Waterloo/Cedar Falls "Tech Tour" signup(Nov. 21st at 2:00)

Discussion in 'Waterloo / Cedar Falls Area' started by adampottebaum, Oct 28, 2010.

1. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    i have a killa wattt too

2. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What time will this be? Did I miss it somewhere in the thread?

--AJ

3. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    We haven't decided a time yet, this is just to get the word out and get people volunteered for stops. It will be about 1 or 2 on the 21st(Sunday). I'm going to make a bulk email in case anyone missed this thread.

4. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Let's just say 1:00. I'm making the bulk email now.

5. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    OK I think 2:00 will work better for everyone traveling from out of town. I hadn't factored that in when deciding a time. Sorry for jumping the gun on deciding a time and confusing everyone!

2:00 TELL EVERYONE!

6. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    2:00 sounds great! I'm planning to drive up.

--AJ

7. Will E

Will E

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I will be able to come again this year. Unfortunately, my tank is having issues and I don't want to show it yet. A long summer of neglect created several problems I am trying to get a handle on.

8. Tina

Tina

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I plan on trying to make it, me, ryan, and my mother.

9. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Wow this is going to be a huge event!!!!

10. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Yea it is, now if only as many people singing up to attend would sign up to host! Brian won't be able to have us over any more. That leaves us:

Craig's Store("Anemones, Clowns, and Corals") - Washburn
    John Mummelthie - Evansdale
    Josh Heinen - Washburn
    Josh Wessels(home and PIPAC) - Cedar Falls
    Adam Pottebaum - Cedar Falls
    Casey Shares - Just north of Cedar Falls

Craig, would you want to have people over at your house?

How far does everyone want to drive? I want to get the route finalized! One week away!

11. dennis

dennis New User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am down to come to see peoples stuff. Is it all right if my 4 year old daughter comes.  Maybe I will show my tank I will have to think about it for a little bit.

12. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Posted By dennis on 11/16/2010 02:01 AM
    I am down to come to see peoples stuff. Is it all right if my 4 year old daughter comes.  Maybe I will show my tank I will have to think about it for a little bit.
    Sure I have taken my kids a couple times.  I wont go on the whole tour, but they will be at the store when everyone meets there.

13. Iamaxxer

Iamaxxer Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thinking I will bring the kid along with me on the tour...  I will be traveling to Ames on this friday...the 19th if any one needs something transported this way....

14. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Not sure if it's too late but I got my wife to "ok" being a spot on the tour if your looking for another stop in Evansdale. If not that's fine too.

15. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Looks like we'll have a good attendance to this!

Jeremy- I think we'll have your place next time. John doesn't think his place is ready yet and he lives in Evansdale. Also, Brian is re-doing his tank, so hopefully it'll be new and improved for the next tour. I think it would be great to have the next tour with Craig's store completed and then go to John's, Brian's, as well as yours. No offense, and your tank is awesome, but I think we've had your place as a stop for the last 3 tours, I think a lot of people are looking for something new...

16. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    No worries, I just figured being that Ryan, Dennis, Tina, Steph & Nick, or AJ have ever seen my tank I thought I would offer.

17. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    If everyone wants to we can, but the route I've got made up is already longer than I would like. It's about 17 miles from the first stop to the last...

The route I had in mind:

Anemones, Clowns, and Corals (Craig's store) - Washburn
    Josh Heinen's 75 along with frag tank/sump room - Washburn
    Pipac Center - South Cedar Falls
    Either UNI's 220 or my 125, or both. - Central Cedar Falls

If everyone wants to go to Jeremy's it would be between Josh's and the Pipac Center, bringing the driving from 27 minutes to 38. Also, Casey offered to have his place as a stop, it's about 13 minutes north of my place/UNI's tank.

We were at my place for the 2 part meeting, so if no one wanted to see what's new on my tank, we don't have to stop here. I've got about 20-30 new coral frags, 2 new clams, an LED fixture, new sump/skimmer, couple new fish, and my clowns started laying eggs.

It's been a couple years since everyone's been to UNI's tank, let me know if this would be good to check out or not. It's about the same except for the new coral frags I'm putting in this week, a bigger closed loop pump, and the switch to 20K XM's. I hope to have most of the leathers out of the tank this week too.

Please everyone let me know what stops they would like to see.

18. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Looks like we've got over 20 people coming!

Please let me know if I have you down as attending and you won't be able to join us. Also, let me know if you've got a cool gadget/gismo to bring. So far I have:

Adam Pottebaum - DIY LED fixture, Kill-A-Watt Meter
    Craig Johnston - PAR Meter
    Aaron Johnson - Pinpoint Calcium Monitor
    Casey Shares - Hanna Phosphate Meter
    John Mummelthie
    Brian King
    Ryan Braumann
    Jeremy Meyer
    Steph and Nick Jelinek- Nano Wavemaker
    Josh Heinen - Apex Controller, MP40 vs. Tunze
    Josh Wessels
    Matt Mahlstedt
    Will Evans
    Tina, Ryan, and Mother Adelmund
    Dennis and Child
    Ross and Child Brase
    Troy Aavis
    Bob Boone (tentatively)
    Brad Howard

19. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Also, not to pick on you Dennis, but club events like this one we have monthly are "members only." There is however, a one time "test drive" pass to any event before you are required to be a member to join. You are welcome to come to one event to see what being a GIRS member for only $20 a year has to offer before becoming a member.

You're more than welcome to come along on the tour, but if you'd like to attend another GIRS event in the future we'll require you to pony up the low low price of $20 to support GIRS!

Really, $20 is nothing when it comes to the awesomeness GIRS provides it's members! I strongly suggest to become a GIRS member in the near future!

20. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    If it's out of the way don't worry about it.  It's no big deal I just like to show of my money pit.  LOL