1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Water Treatment Planning

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AJ, Feb 22, 2009.

1. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So I'm in the planning stage of a major upgrade and I'm thinking about my water treatment and storage system.  I don't want to set up the tank until I have a plan for this...at very least an auto top-off.  I need to design a system that's going to handle my water from tap to tank filtering, water storage, water changes, and auto top-off.  To add another wrinkle to this scenario, the water system will likely be located in my basement and my tank on the main level.  Has anyone else done the multi-level configuration and has it worked well or been a disaster?  All this in mind, I don't know if this means that I should keep my sump and skimmer in the basement too or if I should keep it in the cabinet of the main tank.  Finally, I want all this to be flexible enough so that when the time comes to add the additional dosing stuff for cal, alk, mag, etc. that I can do so without running into extra complexity.
    On the tank tour, I saw a number of complex setups for doing this, but I gotta be honest, I was taking in as much as I could and most/all of this part of things just flew over my head.  I saw everything from garbage cans and rubbermaid containers to graduated liquid storage containers.  If there is a guide to this that I could read, please point me in that direction and I'll do the research.  I would appreciate the advise and direction of some of you more advanced reefers. 
    Thanks in advance!
    --AJ

2. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would have the sump in the basement if all possible. That way you just feed in the display tank, and everything else is done in the basement. Where you can keep your water storage and all the dosing suplies. And for water storage, in my opinion, it is what ever works for you. What I did was read the build forams on RC and got ideas from there.

3. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I like the idea of keeping the sump in the basement...I can see a number of benefits like cooling (basement is always cooler than main level), a degree of flood protection (if something were to overflow, it would likely be the sump and not the main tank), less noise from extra equipment, and I would have more space that I could work with. All that being said, I also have some concerns with that scenario. 1) Falling water...how much noise would be created from the water dropping that far? (I really don't know if this is a concern or not...still pretty new) 2) I have not seen anyone else who has a configuration like this. I don't know what kinds of issues I would encounter. 3) If I were to add a controller (let's say to the basement since that's where the sump and future components would be), would I be able to get remote outlets to the other part of the setup for controlling things like main lights, moon lights, powerheads, etc. I've looked on RC and I really have not found any kind of a doc or forum that does a good job of answering these questions. Thoughts?