1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

water quality realted to red slime.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KDaullary, Apr 15, 2008.

1. KDaullary

KDaullary Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So my 90 gal reef has been doing good for a while. Then i moticed some red slime on one of the live rocks in the upper part of my tank. No big deal, food gets stuck in the dead acropora heads and thats that. well i tested for po4 and was a little high .5 So i added some phoszorb came down alittle then my next test jumped to a 5.0!
    I bought a phos-ban reactor, phosphate has since droped to 0. ammonia, nitrate, nitrite 0.0's. PH 8.4 water temp 79degrees. I pulled out and cleaned the rock mentioned above, stirred some sand in about a days time the red slime is growing on that same rock again. No other rocks are growing this yet. I have a little what i beleive to be red slime growing in one corner on the sand. I skimmed that corner and I think about 2 days later its starting to grow alittle again. The only thing I dont have is a protein skimmer. My uv is a 18 turbotwist runs 24-7. lights a 10k pc and dual actinics. maybe 8 months old. Anyone have any thoughts?

2. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    How much flow do you have in your tank? Cyanobacteria loves low flow and high nutrients.

-JB

3. KDaullary

KDaullary Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a koralia 3 or 4, I cant remember/site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/confused.gif flow on it is around 800gph and I'm using an aqua rio 2100 in my sump. I thought I would have had some form of cyno before this as its been running for about 8 months. However I do see the high nutrient level. I have a carnation coral that is thriving and i barely add any phytoplankton. and i do not have a skimmer /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/whistling.gif I also have allot of what i think looks like snow or dust. floating around I think its cause im not skimming.

4. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Well, as I think you know, you do need to get a good skimmer. Otherwise, all of the excess nutrients in your system will stay in the system until it's consumed by something (usually something bad).

Not all skimmers are created equal, so do some research and get one that performs well for your type of system. Octopus skimmers are a club favorite, so you might want to look into those.

-JB

5. -=kevin=-

-=kevin=- Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like water flow is not the issue, also sounds like you already suspect high nutrients. Most of us run as good a protien skimmer as we can afford. I started with HOB AquaC Remora, then a EuroReef, and now a Octopus with double needle wheels recirculating. I guess I'm a slow learner. lol
    My guess is the advice you will get, is water changes until you get a protien skimmer running.

6. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you only have one koralia in a 90g tank, you definitely need more flow. Other things that cause slime are dosing calcium chloride (possibly from the 2 part solution) inadequate skimmer, or your RO DI needs new filters.

7. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have 2 Koralia #4's and one modded MJ1200 in my 90 gallon and I think it's sufficient but certainly not over doing it.  At the very least you need another PH in the other side of your tank. 
    I can't imagine running my tank without a skimmer.  I know they can be expensive but you can get an Octopus NW 150 fairly reasonably and they are decent skimmers. Of course that is but one option, I suggest that you try and buy once in the equipment world, rather than upgrading over and over with equipment.  Most of us have learned that lesson the hard way!

8. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Also please post your alkalinity and Calcium levels.