1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

water flow

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fishyness, Apr 8, 2009.

1. fishyness

fishyness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    How much for a 54g corner tank? I have a Koralia 3 on it now....

2. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    What type of coral are you going for soft coral,sps,lps?

3. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    Also how much flow is there from your filter?

4. fishyness

fishyness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I'm getting a new light, so will be getting more corals. I'm not sure on the flow from the return.......

5. dzabler

dzabler Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    In my 46 bow I have 2 k4's, 2 k2's and a mj 900. One of the k2's and the mj are directed behind the rock to get flow back in there. If you look at the top of my tank you can see that the water is moving alot. I have sps and lps in there and they are doing fine. As long as the corals are not getting a really strong direct flow you almost can't have too much flow. You don't want water splashing over the edge but hopeflly you get the idea.

6. dzabler

dzabler Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I forgot to add that once you get your powerheads play around with them. I like feeding and adjusting them to see where the dead spots are.

7. mralanjones

mralanjones Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i have a 55 gallon and have 2 k 3's. it seems to be plenty for me

8. fishyness

fishyness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Wow!!!!!    Thats alotta water moving......   I have another 3 to use.......

9. dzabler

dzabler Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes I have a lot of water movement...like I said just try to get rid of the dead spots and you should be fine. If you really want your set up to be nice you could get the controllable powerheads where you can mimic the waves which your fish and corals should love. What all do you have in your tank by the way too? The only thing I do not like about the flow in my tank is that I have to unplug both the k4's when I feed so my scooter bleeny can get the mysis and brine shrimp but I think it is worth it. Also with the controlable powerheads there is normaly a feeding button where the flow is slowed. Sorry I keep writing so much but I just love this stuff and once I get going it is hard to stop. I am sure you know what I mean.

10. fishyness

fishyness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I'm going to  add the other Koralia  this weekend. I watched my flame angel playing in the flow last night.My 54 corner tank: pair of clowns, flame angel, midas blenny, 2firefish????? I put them in a month ago and haven't seen since.... Purple tipped anemone, frogspawn, wood polyps?, pompom looking thing, pulsing xenia, finger leather, devils hand, 2 birdsnest, purple mushroom, some other huge thing, I'll have to look to find a name, orange zoa, blue zoa, kenya tree. I suppose i should just stop and let things grow as most of these are frags..

11. Phathead

Phathead Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    It seems that no one here is caring about filtered gallons per hour. As your flow in the tank is important I feel the filtered flow is much more important if done right you should be able to get a return pump that is sufficient for your tank and that will take care of any water flow problems for the most part. If you want to add some koralia's then do so. I love the koralia's as much as the next guy but I try to keep as many of the powerheads out of my tank as they can be real eye sores.